US soldier photo.

The Allies 1939-1945, and those fighting against Germany.

Moderator: John W. Howard

D_Dutch
Supporter

US soldier photo.

Post by D_Dutch »

Hello,

A few months ago I bought a photo of an US soldier.
Unfortunately there is no name on the backside, but there is a photographers stamp, "Hall Gentry studios 404 South Ervay St. Dallas, Texas".
That COULD mean that this person lived in Dallas, and that's why I have contacted the city archives of Dallas, if there is any chance to know who the person was/is.
But, because I only collect German documents and photo's, I don't know anything about what "kind" of soldier is being portrayed.
I know that It's something with the Navy, but could it get anymore specific?
Maybe it's a really stupid question, but I looked on the internet but nothing could awnser it...
Below it the photo.

With kind regards,

Koen. :wink:
der alte Landser
Supporter

Re: US soldier photo.

Post by der alte Landser »

The serviceman in this photo is a United States Marine wearing the dress blue uniform.
der alte Landser
Supporter

Here's the page from my website, World War II Gyrene, which gives some information about the US Marine Corps dress blue uniform:

http://www.ww2gyrene.org/uniform_blues.htm
D_Dutch
Supporter

Post by D_Dutch »

Thank you very much for the information and the usefull website.
There are a lot of very nice photo's on it! :D
Carl W Schwamberger

Post by Carl W Schwamberger »

Lack of shoulder tabs or NCO stripes suggest this was a private. This may be a recruit in training. They were often photographed in a formal portrait style like this. Perhaps the photo was then reproduced by the Texas photgraphic shop for or by his family/girl friend.
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

It could well be the standard photo taken right before the end of basic training, since he has no ribbons or marksmanship medals. That's how I'd call it, but this shot is OLD Corps!
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
D_Dutch
Supporter

Post by D_Dutch »

Carl W Schwamberger wrote:Lack of shoulder tabs or NCO stripes suggest this was a private. This may be a recruit in training. They were often photographed in a formal portrait style like this. Perhaps the photo was then reproduced by the Texas photgraphic shop for or by his family/girl friend.
I don't know if it is what you mean but he does have shoulder tabs, they only 'disappeared' when I made the photo smaller.
I scanned a close up and included it in this post. :wink:
Tom Houlihan wrote:It could well be the standard photo taken right before the end of basic training, since he has no ribbons or marksmanship medals. That's how I'd call it, but this shot is OLD Corps!
What do you mean with old corps if I may ask? :oops:
The photo is made during WWII or not?
Close-up.jpg
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

"Old Corps" is a term used by Marines to talk about any Marine Corps history before they enlisted. That photograph appears to be WWII.

Those uniforms do have epaulets, but there is no insignia worn there. Rank is on the sleeves.
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
der alte Landser
Supporter

Just to add to what Tom has written, you can also see that this Marine's blouse does not have any chest pockets, which means he is an enlisted Marine. Enlisted dress blue blouses did not come equipped with pockets until 1947.