German 1939-1940 Victory Medal

German uniforms, clothing, and awards 1919-1945.

Moderator: John W. Howard

Brandenburger7

German 1939-1940 Victory Medal

Post by Brandenburger7 »

Was wondering if anyone knows anymore about this interesting medal?
The so called German Victory Medal with 1939-1940 on it, was manufactured in anticipation of Allied defeat in the west before the campaign with Russia, there were also ones manufactured with "1939" and "1939-1941" on the medal. What really intrigues me is the medal ribbon, its an Iron Cross 2nd class ribbon. Surely Hitler wouldn't have allowed this as it was a campaign medal. But in my research someone said that the ribbon bar at the bottom was the proposed ribbon for the medal.

What do you guys think?

Obverse

Reverse

The actual style of the ribbon for the award?
Today Europe. Tomorrow the World. - Adolf Hitler
hucks216
Contributor

Re: German 1939-1940 Victory Medal

Post by hucks216 »

The only reference I can find on the web for this medal is for the one listed on Charlie Snyders website which says it all probably. I have a few German medal books, even though I only collect German paperwork, and there is absolutely no mention of this medal in any of them. It looks poorly struck and the eagle looks abit ropey. Not the sort of quality I'd expect.
When you say "Someone said.." with regards to the ribbon, what is your source?

Happy to be proved wrong as it is always good to learn something new but personally I wouldn't be surprised if this is a fantasy piece.
Alex Dekker
Associate

Re: German 1939-1940 Victory Medal

Post by Alex Dekker »

The medal was made, though only a limited number. It was never handed out to the troops. There were two versions: 1939 - 1940 and 1939 - 1941. But since the war continued...
Always in need for info about: Dutchmen in the NSKK, HJ and TeNo.