Abstimmungsdenkmal history

A place to post photographs and to ask about photographic research.

Moderator: sniper1shot

garlock

Abstimmungsdenkmal history

Post by garlock »

Hello,
I am trying to find information about the monument pictured in the photo (postcard) attached. The statue is the Abstimmungsdenkmal: the Vote Monument, erected to commemorate the July 11, 1920 plebiscite in Marienburg, when the population voted to be part of Germany rather than part of Poland. The statue was located near the Marienburg Church, which was part of the Marienburg Castle. I think the statue is not there now. My questions are: who was the sculptor; what does the inscription say; is the figure a Teutonic Knight; when was the statue erected; and when was it destroyed? I believe that the statue was located very near where recently around 1800 bodies were discovered in a mass grave. I've done enough on-line search to feel responsible, but since much is in German, I might have missed a site. Wikipedia references a book by Ernst Weichbrodt which apparently discusses the vote and mentions the statue.

So, any help--info or sources--would be appreciated.

Got the image from a (unfortunately forgotten) postcard website, but it is a very common shot.

thanks, John
Attachments
marienburg067[1].jpg
marienburg067[1].jpg (137.43 KiB) Viewed 2047 times