PzKpfw III Ausf. A

German weapons, vehicles and equipment 1919-1945.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Paulus II
Patron

PzKpfw III Ausf. A

Post by Paulus II »

Hi all,

Does anybody know how many Pz III Ausf. A's were actually used in Fall Weiss?

10 were built and on 2 november 1937 two were with PzRgt 1 and two with PzRgt 5, the other six had been issued to the schools at Wunsdorf and Putlos.
Here and there I have come across bits of text that claim that more than the 4 issued to both Regimente in 1937 were used in combat during the invasion of Poland.
On 1 september 1939 eleven Pz III are said to have been with the schools and it seems a bit 'unbalanced' to have 6 tanks of one type and only 1 or 2 of all other types then in use. Admittedly a Pz III.......is a Pz III, but the differences between the Ausf. A, B, C and D were quite big in some parts of there 'anatomy' while the E's motor, armour and performance were so different to the earlier Ausführungen that (in my humble opinion at least) it would make sense to have more Ausf. E's in the schools than just 1 or 2 and thereby allowing more Ausf. A's to be sent to combat units even though their fighting capabilities were inferior to the Ausf. E's.
Puzzled....is what I am :D
phylo_roadking
Patron

Re: PzKpfw III Ausf. A

Post by phylo_roadking »

(in my humble opinion at least) it would make sense to have more Ausf. E's in the schools than just 1 or 2 and thereby allowing more Ausf. A's to be sent to combat units even though their fighting capabilities were inferior to the Ausf. E's
Paulus....when you see the mishmash of AFVs the Wehrmacht DID use in the armour schools through the war - Im not sure rhyme or reason came into it; more likely, expediency, or whatever wasn't needed on operational service. It would VERY much depend on where a crew "converted to type" :wink: - at the schools or with their units??? I always thought the schools were for very basic mechanical training etc. and "doctrine" - how to actually "fight" an AFV singly or in groups/units. If the ausfrung-specific conversion to type was done with units - then there's no sense for up-to-date marks being at the schools...
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Paulus II
Patron

Post by Paulus II »

Phylo, I completely agree with what you say though there was a litle rhyme and reason here and there. As a mattter of fact in February 1940 the Austausch von PzKpfw III neuester Art gegen PzKpfw III Serie 1-3 program started the exchange of Pz III's of the Ausf. A, B, C and D in service with combat units for the newer Ausf. E and F whereby the older models were relegated to the schools. Indeed, why not have the best available for the combat units and using old hacks for schooling?

Trouble is......in Jentz's Panzer Tracts 3-1 there is a picture of some Ausf B's with the caption: "These PzKpfw III Ausf. B's in service during the campaign in Poland must have been re-issued to Panzer regiments (other than 1. and 5.) after first being issued to the gunnery school at Putlos"

So, combining that caption with some vague references on the net that more than the 4 Ausf. A's issued to PzRgt 1 and 5 in 1937 saw action in Poland......I'm still puzzled!
tigre
Patron

Post by tigre »

Hello to all :D; a complement.....................

Pz Kw III Ausf. A in action - Poland 1939!.

Source: https://forum.odkrywca.pl/topic/731510- ... 15/#731510

Cheers. Raúl M 8).

Feliz Año Nuevo - Happy New Year - feliz Ano Novo - gluckliches Neues Jahr - Bonne Année - Felice Anno Nuovo - Szczęśliwego nowego roku! :beer:
Attachments
One of the few Pz Kw III Ausf. A employed in the campaign, in this case from 2./ PR 1 (1. Pz Div)............
One of the few Pz Kw III Ausf. A employed in the campaign, in this case from 2./ PR 1 (1. Pz Div)............
image159.jpg (32.89 KiB) Viewed 1178 times
Serás lo que debas ser o no serás nada. General José de San Martín.