Need Details on US M1 57mm ATG

The Allies 1939-1945, and those fighting against Germany.

Moderator: John W. Howard

space pope

Need Details on US M1 57mm ATG

Post by space pope »

I'm going to run a one-shot D-Day WWII RPG game this weekend and the player characters are going to be supplied with a 57mm ATG. I've done a little searching and couldn't really find some of the details I needed.

I know only AP rounds were standard issue to US forces. How many rounds were standard issue? how many could the PCs haul in a jeep/kubel or APC?

How far and how fast can the PCs man-handle the gun? How long would it take to entrench the gun?

What kind of hitch was used to haul the gun? Could it easily be adapted to other vehicles?
C.GILLONO
Supporter

Re: Need Details on US M1 57mm ATG

Post by C.GILLONO »

"I know only AP rounds were standard issue to US forces. How many rounds were standard issue? how many could the PCs haul in a jeep/kubel or APC?"
The HE shells arrived late but the US got some - as many rounds as thought useful I suppose: they came in cylindrical containers themselves stored in 4-rounds wooden boxes IIRC - the usual prime mover was the Dodge 6x6 not the Jeep (too llight for the task)
"How far and how fast can the PCs man-handle the gun? How long would it take to entrench the gun?"
Don't know but the tactical situation is the answer: as far as needed! Far on good going and much more tiresome on soft ground.
The Infantry Branch initially preferred the 37mm AT that was much lighter and the doughboys probably thought the same for as long as they were not facing late war Panzers. The added power of the 57mm was important then.
The later versions had a castor (manhandling) wheel in the middle of the trails - a clue to the problem of moving the gun.
Entrenching: depends on the position - just making a hole for the spades (the recoil was HUGE!) could be enough in an emergency

"What kind of hitch was used to haul the gun? Could it easily be adapted to other vehicles?"
Usual tow hook - suitable to any US vehicle (AFVs included) if powerful enough

HTH
Amateurs talk tactics, historians study logistics, but what about amateur historians?
redcoat
Contributor

Post by redcoat »

C.GILLONO wrote:"I know only AP rounds were standard issue to US forces. How many rounds were standard issue? how many could the PCs haul in a jeep/kubel or APC?"
The HE shells arrived late but the US got some - as many rounds as thought useful I suppose: they came in cylindrical containers themselves stored in 4-rounds wooden boxes IIRC - the usual prime mover was the Dodge 6x6 not the Jeep (too llight for the task)
US Airborne forces weren't equipped with the 57mm M1. They used the British built 6 pdr Mk 4, on the Mk 3 carriage, which was a carriage modified to fit into a Horsa glider. The prime mover was in this case a Jeep, which arrived in the same glider. The number of rounds carried was 42.
if in doubt, PANIC !!!!
C.GILLONO
Supporter

Post by C.GILLONO »

redcoat wrote:
C.GILLONO wrote:"I know only AP rounds were standard issue to US forces. How many rounds were standard issue? how many could the PCs haul in a jeep/kubel or APC?"
US Airborne forces weren't equipped with the 57mm M1. They used the British built 6 pdr Mk 4, on the Mk 3 carriage, which was a carriage modified to fit into a Horsa glider. The prime mover was in this case a Jeep, which arrived in the same glider. The number of rounds carried was 42.
Hi
You are right but I did not knew "D-Day WWII RPG game" was related to the airborne forces
Regards
Amateurs talk tactics, historians study logistics, but what about amateur historians?