Forum seems to have frozen

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

Einsamer_Wolf
Banned

Forum seems to have frozen

Post by Einsamer_Wolf »

Hasnt changed since Thursday. What gives. Am I the only one?

Warm Regards

EW
Mögen die Flammen unserer Begeisterung niemals zum Erlöschen kommen.
Commissar D, the Evil

Post by Commissar D, the Evil »

There've been many posts on Soldatenheim. Maybe your computer is using a "Cached" copy of the Forum. Sign off and try to reconnect. Cheers, D
Death is lighter than a Feather, Duty is heavier than a Mountain....
Guillermo
Contributor

SD

Post by Guillermo »

Sicherheitsdients.

Nothing we can do about.

Guillermo
Christian
Patron

Post by Christian »

Einsamer_Wolf

I suggest you delete your Temporary Internet Files and Cookies (Tools / Internet Options) and then re-connect. This will most likely resolve your problem. Good luck.

Cheers,

Christian
Henrik Krog
Contributor

Re: Forum seems to have frozen

Post by Henrik Krog »

Traffic IS slow. I have noticed that there are some parallels in how forum traffic develops. Many forum have reoccurring flame-world-wars about 4 months apart. January always has one, and that one is always followed by a slowing down in traffic in late January/early February.

Traffic will probably pick up again in two weeks.

Henrik
Einsamer_Wolf wrote:Hasnt changed since Thursday. What gives. Am I the only one?

Warm Regards

EW
Commissar D, the Evil

"Flame Wars"!? Well thanks Henrik for giving me something to look forward to..... :?
Best Regards, David :wink:
Guillermo
Contributor

Flame war

Post by Guillermo »

What is a flame war?

Guillermo
Henrik Krog
Contributor

Re: Flame war

Post by Henrik Krog »

A flamewar is basically a shouting match between people on a discussion forum or an e-group.

People "Flame" each others by using insulting language, accusing people of being nazi/gay/stupid/cowboy/euroweenie/whatever, demanding of others to show proof for their allegations without doing it themselves, and so on. As you can insult a person without ever seeing him, go out to the kitchen to have a sandwich, then come back and insult him some more, these wars tend to be rather long-winded.

They normally start out when people with strong beliefs (doesnt really matter where on the political spectrum) collide, then refuse to budge, even if their claims are disproven.

Occasionally they can also be started by so-called "Trolls", who start flamewars just for fun. Normally 15-year-old pis-ants without neither life nor haircut.

And these flamewars can basically kill a list or forum if they are allowed free reign. I have seen several of my favorite forums/e-groups go down the drain because the listmaster refused to moderate.

I was in one maybe 3 years ago, that lasted for almost a month and in that month quadrubled list traffic. That was an example of how a flamewar can actually help, though, as it sorta shook people up and made them heighten the pace and quality of their posts. I think list-traffic remained at double the normal for at least a year afterwards.

Henrik

Guillermo wrote:What is a flame war?

Guillermo
Henrik Krog
Contributor

Post by Henrik Krog »

Hi David

I dont think you have to be afraid....you seem to have a rather good grip on things on this forum. Only one or two strings of US-bashing after you banned them.

Also, flamewars dont have to be actual "World"-flamewars. They can just as well be just a series of skirmishes. Say, like the small sideshow wars fought by Hungary 1939-1941 (4 in all). So nothing to worry much about.

Henrik
Commissar D, the Evil wrote:"Flame Wars"!? Well thanks Henrik for giving me something to look forward to..... :?
Best Regards, David :wink:
Commissar D, the Evil

Hi Henrik, your definition of "flame wars" is "on the money". I've noticed myself that sometimes a good "Flame war" significantly increases traffic on a site. I think that people are naturally attracted to inter-personal conflict, especially if the posts are funny or very witty. But, of course, too often "Flame Wars" themselves bog down into meaningless rhetoric or outright offensive posts.
Still, the "flame war" is an interesting internet concept.
Best Regards, David