Renown and Repulse VS. Prinz Eugen

German Kriegsmarine 1935-1945.
NASAAN101

Renown and Repulse VS. Prinz Eugen

Post by NASAAN101 »

Guys,
If Renown and Repulse went up against PE, could they handle her, and get a tow line on her to keep her from helping her brother Bismarck in his last fight against KGV, Rondey, Norfolk and Dorsetshire?

I guess what i was trying to ask is could they hold on to her with the towlines til, bismarck got sank, then when KGV and Rondey, when back to scapa flow, the four of them take her back with them, but if they able to get a prize crew on board, they dont have to two her, but say in a net around her, so she can run for freedom, that what i ment ok..

What i mean by getting in a net around her is KGV, Rodney, Renown, her sister get on both sides on PE then one behind and one in front! so if you dont mine ok, like i told you last night every one is underestimating her.. what do you thing, you can tell me here ok.. what do u think is she dogmeat?
Nikki
The mighty beast is wounded, a Swordfish torpedoed the steering gear, with rudder's jammed..is his Achilles Heel with... K.G.5 and Rodney closing in for the kill". From "You Must Sink The Bismarck" on youtube..
lwd
Enthusiast

Re: Renown and Repulse VS. Prinz Eugen

Post by lwd »

One of them could handle her in short order under most circumstances. Renown had a pretty good name as a shooter and 15" rounds make a mess of a cruiser very quickly. I'd guess less that half a dozen hits and Eugen would be a floating wreck.

Not quite sure what you are trying to say about tow lines. If you are saying Eugen is towning Bismarck that's a very bad postion to be in if engaged.
NASAAN101

Post by NASAAN101 »

LWD,
What i mean was if She and her Sister could get two towline on her and keep a grip on and, she wouldnt be able to help her bigger brother, against KGV, Rondey , Norfolk and Dorsetshire, That's just what im trying to say!
Nikki
The mighty beast is wounded, a Swordfish torpedoed the steering gear, with rudder's jammed..is his Achilles Heel with... K.G.5 and Rodney closing in for the kill". From "You Must Sink The Bismarck" on youtube..
hucks216
Contributor

Post by hucks216 »

Considering that the PE was an enemy combatant, and a big one at that, why would the two British ships do anything other then sink her from afar? That would certainly stop her from helping the Bismarck!
Beershark
Supporter

Post by Beershark »

hucks216 wrote:Considering that the PE was an enemy combatant, and a big one at that, why would the two British ships do anything other then sink her from afar? That would certainly stop her from helping the Bismarck!
One could speculate that given the right opportunity, a warship of the calibre of the PE would have been a useful vessel to add to the Royal Navy. Since the RN were (and did) sink several French warships in order to prevent them from aiding the Germans, does my above theory of the RN gaining the PE not stand scrutiny ?
lwd
Enthusiast

Post by lwd »

The PE would have had to have been completely regunned if taken into British service. Her radios and radars would also have had to have been replaced. Then there's the problems with her propulsion system. If the British had captured Eugen they would have probably takne a lot of her apart to analyze and then put her on display somewhere.
bil
Supporter

Post by bil »

That is assuming that the crew of the PE would just stand there while the towlines were made fast.I cannot picture that scenario. ---bil
Beershark
Supporter

Post by Beershark »

lwd wrote:The PE would have had to have been completely regunned if taken into British service. Her radios and radars would also have had to have been replaced. Then there's the problems with her propulsion system. If the British had captured Eugen they would have probably takne a lot of her apart to analyze and then put her on display somewhere.
**********************************************************************************************************************************************

I did think that she would have required many modifications, but since British radar was vastly better than that of the Germans, it would have been foolish not to have made that change. Insofar as the guns and propulsion system were concerned, whilst they would not have been cheap to replace, they would certainly have been much less expensive than building a whole new ship, let alone the months/'years required to build a vessel of this size.
lwd
Enthusiast

Post by lwd »

Beershark wrote: ...I did think that she would have required many modifications, but since British radar was vastly better than that of the Germans, it would have been foolish not to have made that change. Insofar as the guns and propulsion system were concerned, whilst they would not have been cheap to replace, they would certainly have been much less expensive than building a whole new ship, let alone the months/'years required to build a vessel of this size.
I'm not at all sure it would have been faster and perhaps not even cheaper. Partially dependent on if there is battle damage and how much. Regunning her would probably have required a completly new turret design for instance. Indeed if they wanted to user her they might have been better off converting her to a CVL.
NASAAN101

Post by NASAAN101 »

If PE is able to wiggle away from ronown and Repulse and is able to ge near her bigger brother, just have eigher Rodney or KGV, pop a few roundf off at her to move her away from her brother, and back towards The other ships, that way they (KGV and Rodney) could deal with Bismarck. Then when bismarck was sank, with Moani and Dorsetshire on site, let PE help get surivors.. then if she trys to run what happens..
Nikki