Use of maps for diploma thesis?

Feldgrau's WWII operational map project, map research, archives, tools and techniques, and research requests.

Moderator: Abicht

rommel_gaj

Use of maps for diploma thesis?

Post by rommel_gaj »

Greetings!

Having tried two times to obtain answer via PM (in vain), I' try it this way.

I am about to start working on my diploma thesis and would like to know the following:

1.) Can I use the bought maps for my work?

2.) In which format are they, and how large (i.e what's the quality)?

Thanks in advance,

Gaius
menright

Re: Use of maps for diploma thesis?

Post by menright »

Are you able to clarify this inquiry?

If your thesis is strictly academic, then you should be able to copy or insert maps from any source, as long as you cite them, both in-text and in the bibliography / references section. As they are for the purposes of study, it seems unlikely that permission would be needed. You might like to confirm this with a supervisor.

Michael
Abicht

Post by Abicht »

Gaius-

I am sorry I didnt reply before... no excuse sir!

Yes, as the maps are US public domain, without any copyright, you can use them in any manner you wish. as for how to cite the records, go to www.nara.gov and in the search area look up how to cite NARA records. Pretty simple. If you cant find it let me know and I can dig up the proper way to do so.

As far as format goes, this is not easy to answer. The original maps, mostly, were for large table-top use or wall use and were rather large. Other maps were smaller tactical 1:50:000 scale maps. either way, all the maps were photographed and placed onto transparacies. I then scan in those maps at the best resolution I can. The issue is some maps are in poor shape, the annotations sometimes are faded, and the worst part is the photographs were not the highest possible quality, which degraded the resolution and detail.

That said, most of the maps show all the details and some are very very good.

I scan the maps in at 600dpi with no compression. So for example, the France 39-40 map set is 6GB.

Although the interest in the maps has dropped way off to almost not worth doing it, I plan to be at NARA scanning in more maps this weekend. So more will be coming.
M.Abicht
rommel_gaj

Post by rommel_gaj »

No problem, Mr. Abicht, my thesis is YET to be written, so we're not late. :) Anyway, whole copyright issue is a big gray cloud to me, and i wanted to check the terms before I went to the next step.

Am I to proceed with further questions here, or should I write you a PM (provided I get an answer in a reasonably short time ;))?

Cheers,

Gaius