Whatever happened to Herr Westphal (Rommel's staff)?

German Veterans, vet accounts, MIA searches, KIA info, and on relatives who served.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

Freebooter

Whatever happened to Herr Westphal (Rommel's staff)?

Post by Freebooter »

Hello all,
I have a friend whose mom was from Germany and had an uncle on Rommel's staff named Westphal or something like that. Garry said that when he was captured by the British he was not treated too well. After his interrogations by the British they say in his family that he was never quite the same again. The British must have been sort of rough or something. I know of a Westfall who was on Rommel's Staff but no nothing about him. Does anyone know anything about him. What ever happened to him later in the war, after the war, etc..

Garry also had an uncle who dissappeared on the Eastern Front. I might get his name from my buddy and try to look him up and find what unit he was in, etc..
Later,
David Edelen
Alabama
One Shot, One Kill!!
John W. Howard

Re: Whatever happened to Herr Westphal (Rommel's staff)?

Post by John W. Howard »

Hello David:
If the man in question was Siefried Westphal, then your friends mom's Uncle was quite famous. Here is a link to some bare-bones info:http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.h ... A964948260
Do a Google search to find much more. Westphal was interviewed many times and wrote a book, which can be found in English. There is even a Youtube clip with him being interviewed with Hasso Manteuffel. I believe he was interviewed for the WORLD AR WAR documentary series too. Best wishes.
John W. Howard