Manual on Russian Army

The Allies 1939-1945, and those fighting against Germany.

Moderator: John W. Howard

MadDog
Associate

Manual on Russian Army

Post by MadDog »

I found this book on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/WWII-REFERENCE-MANU ... dZViewItem

"The Handbook of the Russian Army 1940 by the British General Staff. 432 pages. Trim Size: 5 1/2" by 8 1/2" hardcover ISBN: 280-2"

Is this generally considered to be a decent reference for Russian units ?

thanks,

Mad Dog
Michael Avanzini
Supporter

Re: Manual on Russian Army

Post by Michael Avanzini »

Well it is a basic general reference of the Red Army of the Winter War Period. It gives general organization of all the various units but you have to remember this is through British inteligence.
I guess my question to you is what information are you be looking for about the Red Army. I coculd steer you in the right direction if I know what you need

Michael Avanzini
MadDog
Associate

Post by MadDog »

Thanks Michael. I am looking for something than can describe the structure and equipment of the typical Russian units, down to company level if possible. If you are familiar with the Handbook on the German Army (or the one on the Japanese or italian forces), they have TOE information on all known units.

At this time, while I know the basic theoretical structure of various Russian units, I have virtually no detailed information.

thanks,

Mad Dog
C.GILLONO
Supporter

Post by C.GILLONO »

Nafziger to the rescue - Sharp more exactly
http://home.fuse.net/nafziger/WW2_ARMY.HTM
SOVIET ORDER OF BATTLE IN WWII
By Charles C. Sharp
12 volumes :[]
HTH
Amateurs talk tactics, historians study logistics, but what about amateur historians?
Michael Avanzini
Supporter

Post by Michael Avanzini »

Maddog,

As Mr Gillono states, The Charles Sharp 12 volume set is the best for your needs. There is a 1 volume book "Red Army Handbook" that is not bad but the Sharps volumes are comprehensive. They are just one of the tools I use for my wargame design, along with the BSSA, the 36 volume perechin set and some very comprehensive Russian language books I have. I do operational level games down to Bn/coy level

Michael
MadDog
Associate

Post by MadDog »

Thanks, guys. I will order some of these.

Mad Dog