Luftwaffe StuGs in Normandy?

German Luftwaffe 1935-1945.
George Harper

Luftwaffe StuGs in Normandy?

Post by George Harper »

Hi All,

Luftwaffe Feld Div 16 deployed a small number of StuG IIIG's in Normandy. As the Heer took over control of the LW Feld Div's in November '43, would the StuG crews have worn Luftwaffe or Heer uniforms?

I don't suppose I'd be lucky enough for anyone to have pics?

Cheers,

George.
George S. Harper.
Sydney, AUSTRALIA.
moanalot

Re: Luftwaffe StuGs in Normandy?

Post by moanalot »

Hello George, I and my group reenact the 17.Luftwaffen Felddivision. 34.(L) Jager Regiment. IIBattalion. 5 Kompanie. We portray the transitional period ,late 1943, when the Army was taking over the Airforce ground units. However the Army changed their insignia to Airforce. When the Army took over the full title changed thus:- 17.Felddivision Luftwaffe, 34.Jager Rgt (Luftwaffe), IIBtl, 5(J)Kp. So links with the airforce were maintained. Stug uniforms for the Army and Airforce were the same colour and cut.The insignia was different.The waffenfarbe was the same bright red + skull. If you go to my units website you will see a mixture of uniforms all belonging to one unit. Army green,Airforce Blue, Army green and Airforce Blue together. From November 1943 to May,1945 I think the German high command had more to worry about than how their soldiers looked in battle.At that time they were getting their a--es kicked and you got what you were given.Especially the Luftwaffen Felddivision.
Our website www.western-front.co.uk
Regards Paul G.
Schwerepanzer Abteilung 502.