KT 3 DXCD/LXCU

German Kriegsmarine 1935-1945.
phylo_roadking
Patron

Re: KT 3 DXCD/LXCU

Post by phylo_roadking »

Apart from anything else - surely the Germans didn't have to "run" munitions into Spain??? :wink: But were quite open about it?

Andy, there MAY be a case of...not "mistaken identity" here...but duplication. The "KT 3" was the "class vessel" of the KT CLASS developed and built during the war...but as "Kriegstransporter" also simply means "military transport" and as a reference term seems to have been applied to plenty of German-registered vessels during the war. I've found reference to a couple of the transports in Weserubung being termed "kriegstransporter" though they were just chartered freighters.
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Andy H
Associate

Post by Andy H »

Hi Phylo

I'm starting to think the same myself.

I would presume the records of the vessel Empire S will still be in the archives of either the RCT or its former ID's-Myabe a call to one of the various Museums may yeald some information.

Regards
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.

And so as I patrol in the valley of the shadow of the tricolour I must fear evil, For I am but mortal and mortals can only die
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Apart from it being in Hants., where on earth is Marchwood??? What's the nearest "name" town?
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
stevedore

Post by stevedore »

Hi Phylo

Reference your last. Marchwood is on the River Test exactly opposite Southampton's quay 101. Have a look on Google Earth>

cheers
Stevedore
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Ah, THAT makes sense. Old coaling dock?
stevedore

Post by stevedore »

Hi phylo

I'm sorry but I have to say that I think you have got your description of Marchwood wrong. I dont think it was ever an old coaling dock. I may be wrong, but it was used in during WWII to transport sections of Mulberry harbour across the channel, however I would be glad to learn the source of your information that leads you to think Marchwood was an old coal dock.

cheers
Stevedore
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Not information, just a guess; A lot of coaling docks serving ports in river roads' ended up sited across the roads' from the main port, so that any manouvering or traffic in tidal waters at the coaling dock wouldn't interfere with regular traffic.

Coaling depots are also BIG in ground acreage, and in the second half of the 19th century were coming VERY late in ground usage terms in a port/harbour area, especially one tied to a developed urban area. It very often simply wasn't possible to free up room for a coaling depot right in an older, developed port.

I'm looking up stuff on Marchwood nat the minute; certainly it's described quite often as a "military" port", so trying to find out how far that goes.
stevedore

Post by stevedore »

Hi Phylo

I think you will find that "Marchwood Port" was used in the early 19th Century as part of the Royal Naval Armaments Depot from 1815 right into the first quarter of the 20th Century at least. I cant see the authorities of the day letting anyone discharge coal from the same pier as gunpowder or ammunition.

Although the old Marchwood power station was coal fired I think maybe the coal was brought in by rail.

Cheers
Stevedore
stevedore

Post by stevedore »

Hi Phylo
I'm sorry to go one about this subject but the more I study it the more intreging it gets.

A small portion of your translation :-

24 April: Shipping company message records she was damaged by mines enroute to Norway.
26.April: As last ship in the convoy " Bodö 224" (Cargo 250 tons Nickel and 2.3 tons old naval vehicles) attacked on pos. 66° N - 13°57 E by 30 airplanes
This position is just off the north east coast of Iceland. If that is correct how did they manage to get her back to Norway especially after taking a direct hit in hold no2, and the disance being about 700 miles. I have tried to find "Veosky" but no luck is this an old name?

Cheers
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

That I can't answer you LOL All I have so far is that barebones history. And I hadn't looked up the position myself...but I can't see why ANY non-fighting ship would be THAT close to Allied-occupied ICELAND...ESPECIALLY if it's heading from Bodo to Germany!!! that's hell of a dog-leg :D The problem is - how many layers of sources did this particular story go through before finally beaching on the Internet :shock: one digit there could after all make a HELL of a difference....

The name I should probably have put in red, I assumed it was a place name as I couldn't find ANY sort of a translation for it anywhere LOL
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Aha! NOT a coaling yard - a ROYAL ORDNANCE depot for the Navy. Munitions! Hence it being separate from the port - in case it went bang. NOWADAYS, as well as being "Marchwood Military Port" - thus continuing the British Government's long tradition and policy of taking military affairs out of immediate proximity to civilian affairs - but also officially "Royal Navy Armaments Depot, Marchwood".
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

AND interestingly - home of the "British Military Powerboat Trust"! And thus my old query about "Coastal Motor Boats" comes round full-circle :D ....

and.........BINGO!

http://www.marchwoodyc.org.uk/index.php?m=1history

ooooooh - it DID go bang! :(
Waleed Y. Majeed
Patron

Post by Waleed Y. Majeed »

I have tried to find "Veosky" but no luck is this an old name
Or misspelled (Germanised... :D )!

The Norwegian names could be: Vedøy, Røst Island (east of Bodö) or just above this island there's Værøy also a small island. They are the two "blobs" of land south of Lofoten peninsula.

waleed
stevedore

Post by stevedore »

Hi phylo

Again I've been looking at the co-ords given and It's me who dropped the clanger when using Google Earth. I put in 66degs north and in error 13degs-57mins WEST, and not as I should have done 13Degs-57mins EAST. the 27Degs-54mind makes a massive difference and puts her slightly inland of Mosjoen,so with the possible discrepancy in figures that you suggested earlier I think she could have been grounded near or in Mosjoen.

Cheers
Stevedore
Waleed Y. Majeed
Patron

Post by Waleed Y. Majeed »

Bereedung:
Unter Bereederung versteht man die technische und kaufmännische Betriebsführung von Seeschiffen. Der Eigentümer des Schiffes kann die Bereederung einem Dienstleister übertragen. In diesem Fall nennt man den beauftragten Dienstleister Vertragsreeder oder Schiffsmanager. Im Englischen ist die Bezeichnung ship management üblich.
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bereederung

waleed