Which Tuczno (PL) has a German military cemetery/mass grave?

General WWII era German military discussion that doesn't fit someplace more specific.
Soldat7128
Supporter

Which Tuczno (PL) has a German military cemetery/mass grave?

Post by Soldat7128 »

I'm trying to track the grave of a relative listed at Gräbersuche as being in the Polish town of Tuczno, but according to Google Maps there are four such towns in current-day Poland. (two northeast of Poznan, and two in-between Poznan and Szczecin [Stettin]).

Can anyone tell me if any of these have a German military cemetery from World War II, or even a mass grave (he was killed in late January 1945 if that helps.)

Thanks
Pirx
Associate

Post by Pirx »

Hi.
It's probably Tuczno near Walcz (postcode 78-640). There was big battle for "pommernstellung".
Anyway, most Germans KIA were after 1945 exhumated and moved:
a) to Germany via Red Cross or other organisation
b) to local comunal cemetaries - in this case probably to Walcz
c) bodies found in after 1985 are exhumated, and if family don't ask for them they are buried in Poznan.
I doubt that there is military graveyard in Tuczno, however it could be in the past. Start from Walcz or Poznan
amicus Plato, sed magis amica veritas
Soldat7128
Supporter

Post by Soldat7128 »

Pirx wrote:Hi.
It's probably Tuczno near Walcz (postcode 78-640). There was big battle for "pommernstellung".
Anyway, most Germans KIA were after 1945 exhumated and moved:
a) to Germany via Red Cross or other organisation
b) to local comunal cemetaries - in this case probably to Walcz
c) bodies found in after 1985 are exhumated, and if family don't ask for them they are buried in Poznan.
I doubt that there is military graveyard in Tuczno, however it could be in the past. Start from Walcz or Poznan
Thank you very much.