Time to hear an apology for the Great Terror in the USSR

A place for off-topic posts not related to this website. All messages are purged frequently.
Andy H
Associate

Post by Andy H »

statemachine wrote:Britain should be apologising for their much more recent actions in the 50's in Kenya.Some Kenyans are attempting to have a class action suit heard,and are still meeting resistance.
Jumping on the Human Rights PC gravy train.

Hope they dont get a penny.

Regards
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.

And so as I patrol in the valley of the shadow of the tricolour I must fear evil, For I am but mortal and mortals can only die
Commissar D, the Evil

Post by Commissar D, the Evil »

Andre, many thanks for correcting me. My essential point was that Great Britain took a leading role in abolishing slavery and that should not ever be forgotten.

Thanks again for correcting the dates and adding historical substance to my earlier post.

Very Best My Friend,
David :D :D :D
Death is lighter than a Feather, Duty is heavier than a Mountain....
statemachine
Contributor

Post by statemachine »

sid guttridge wrote:Hi statemachine,

Technically all the Mau-Mau baggage was signed away at independence and falls within the jurisdiction of the successor Kenyan Government.

Has the Kenyan Government pursued any internal cases against either African security force members or Mau-Mau members?

If it has, then I can see no objection to pursuing implicated Britons as well.

There is a major problem in that a recent book (entitled something like "Britain's Gulag") closes with vague and unsubstantiated allegations that the Mau-Mau death toll was as high as 100,000. This has heightened the public profile of the issue.

Another complicating factor was that there were two recent court cases in which Kenyan women alleged rape by British forces on exercise and other Kenyans alleged injury from unexploded ordinance after exercises were over. These were provoked by a couple of compensation hand outs that drew attention to HMG as a milch-cow and resulted in hundreds of apparently false claims.

Cheers,

Sid.
Part of the deal to obtain their independance was indeed to agree to an amnesty for all the crimes committed against the Kenyan people.

I doubt that any of the Kikiyu oath-takers were prosecuted for their crimes against fellow Kenyans and British colonialists.

Caroline Elkins is a Harvard historian.The allegations are not vague and unsubstantiated.This work won the Pulitzer prize in 2006 for general non-fiction.

The vast majority of these deaths did not come from the ranks of the forest fighters.Members of the general population,and those in the concentration camps suffered on an immense scale.

The name of the book is Imperial Reckoning.

The British wash their hands with the finest soap.
An unbreakable man
Andy H
Associate

Post by Andy H »

Elkins book is good, but many historians etc have pulled her up on her actual figures and rather agenda driven narrative.
The British wash their hands with the finest soap
:roll: Christ what a informative statement.

Regards
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.

And so as I patrol in the valley of the shadow of the tricolour I must fear evil, For I am but mortal and mortals can only die
Cott Tiger
Associate

Post by Cott Tiger »

Hi Guys,

I think we touched upon Elkin’s work on another thread recently.

As I stated previously I am not overly aware of her work but I have stumbled across references to it and there always appears to be a criticism attached about her research and methodology resulting in her work being eyed with caution.

A very quick googled search on Elkin immediately throws up some notes of caution.

Our ever favourite reference source wikipedia for example states:
Criticism of Elkins' work

Elkins' work was criticized by historian Lawrence James in The Sunday Times as being a one-sided account of the Mau Mau Uprising. In an article in The Guardian, James, in turn, was criticized for "whitewashing the history of the British empire".[1]

Nicholas Best, acknowledging that "there can be no excuse for what happened" in Kenya, questioned Elkins' detention and casualty figures as ludicrous and accused Elkins of being selective in her sources[2].

Richard Dowden wrote a critical review of Elkins' book in The Guardian[3]. James Mitchell, in a highly critical review of the book, said 'I shudder for those of her students who expect academic rigour: Elkins doesn't let facts stand in the way of a good rant.'[4]

David Elstein has also noted severe shortcomings in Elkins' methodology and conclusions. Elstein contends that her casualty figures are derived from an idiosyncratic reading of census figures and a tendentious interpretation of the fortified village scheme.

The BBC documentary Kenya: White Terror was based on Elkins'controversial research into the Mau Mau. It aired on Sunday 17 November 2002 on BBC Two at 1915 GMT and subsequently on BBC World. As a result of complaints made against this documentary, Ofcom (the British broadcasting watchdog) ruled that the programme had been partially unfair to Terrence Gavaghan, whom Elkins accuses of brutality.

Elkins Harvard colleague Niall Ferguson praised Elkins for her research which he described as painstaking however described her book as a sensationalist account of the rebellion.[5]

In 2007, the demographer John Blacker writing in African Affairs demonstrated in detail that Elkins' estimates of casualties were grossly over estimated. [6]
Sorce: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caroline_Elkins

I know wikipedia is not always the most reliable of sources but it does appear there is considerable criticism of Elkin and her work.

Best regards,

André
Up The Tigers!
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Elkins book is good, but many historians etc have pulled her up on her actual figures and rather agenda driven narrative.
IIRC I contributed to a thread on this and other "British Concentration camps" on AHF about 8 weeks ago. There are actually more holes than a collander in her argument. Its also worth looking at the rest of her output ;-)
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi Statemachine,

Yes, I think I was referring to Elkins' book, which I guess may have a different title over here.

On the whole she did a good enough job, given that surviving British primary materials are limited and Kikuyu anecdotal evidence is nuanced by the passage of time.

However, there was no hard evidence for her suggestion that fatalities may have been higher by a good order of magnitude. It was, at best, anecdotal. Fortunately, she does not press the point heavily, but it gained press impact it probably didn't deserve.

Cheers,

Sid.

P.S. What soap would you recommend we wash our hands in?
statemachine
Contributor

Post by statemachine »

Yes,Sid.She did a great job considering how many files the British destroyed,didn't she?

The soap the British use to wash their hands has been working really well. :wink:
An unbreakable man
statemachine
Contributor

Post by statemachine »

[quote="Andy H"]Elkins book is good, but many historians etc have pulled her up on her actual figures and rather agenda driven narrative.

Since the British destroyed so many files,Andy,which you know they are so fond of,what evidence are these other historians citing?Even if these figures were off by a factor of ten,you have to admit,it was a vey dark period for the British.Other,less refined peoples did these kinds of things.Not Brits.
An unbreakable man
statemachine
Contributor

Post by statemachine »

BTW,Sid,I am not trying to be holier than thou,I have ancestors from the same place as old Smithy,who just passed away.I just think we need to admit that all men can be exceedingly evil.
An unbreakable man
Andy H
Associate

Post by Andy H »

statemachine wrote:
Andy H wrote:Elkins book is good, but many historians etc have pulled her up on her actual figures and rather agenda driven narrative.

Since the British destroyed so many files,Andy,which you know they are so fond of,what evidence are these other historians citing?Even if these figures were off by a factor of ten,you have to admit,it was a vey dark period for the British.Other,less refined peoples did these kinds of things.Not Brits.
All peoples and nations have had there moments of cruelty, madness and sheer brutality. I dont seek to keep the UK of that list nations, but I take point over generalisations, stereotyping and cheap shots taken at any nation, be that UK, USA, Germany, China, USSR, Japan etc etc, which is what your wording and context was doing.

Regards

Commissar D, the Evil

Post by Commissar D, the Evil »

I agree with Andy,
All peoples and nations have had there moments of cruelty, madness and sheer brutality. I don't seek to keep the UK off that list nations, but I take point over generalizations, stereotyping and cheap shots taken at any nation, be that UK, USA, Germany, China, USSR, Japan etc etc, which is what your wording and context was doing.
This is a wise statement.

Bestens,
~D, the EviL
Death is lighter than a Feather, Duty is heavier than a Mountain....
statemachine
Contributor

Post by statemachine »

Andy H wrote:
statemachine wrote:
Andy H wrote:Elkins book is good, but many historians etc have pulled her up on her actual figures and rather agenda driven narrative.

All peoples and nations have had there moments of cruelty, madness and sheer brutality. I dont seek to keep the UK of that list nations, but I take point over generalisations, stereotyping and cheap shots taken at any nation, be that UK, USA, Germany, China, USSR, Japan etc etc, which is what your wording and context was doing.

Regards

I thought that it was more towards gentle ribbing.There were many Brits who repeatedly raised the alarm over these matters,Andy.They were stonewalled by the British government.But enough of this.

Cheers
An unbreakable man
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi statemachine,

Nobody would pretend otherwise than that all men have the potential to be exceedingly evil.

However, culture varies through time and by place, making some societies more brutal than others. By that measure the British were not notably harsh as imperialists.

Of course the British destroy the great majority of government files, but they are no more fond of doing so than anyone else. Every government does so, due to the sheer physical impossibility of keeping everything. It doesn't necessarily mean they or anyone else have anything to hide.

Cheers,

Sid.