Stug 412 - What's in a number?

German weapons, vehicles and equipment 1919-1945.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Stransky
Supporter

Stug 412 - What's in a number?

Post by Stransky »

Hope someone can help me here.

I am no expert on vehicles but I have a private photo of a Stug with a turret number of 412. Can anyone tell me if its possible to determine anything interesting from the number? For example, is it possible to find a record for this individual vehicle based on this number??

The year should be 1944, unit should be Pz Lehr Regt.

Grateful for any help!
I had no part in it!
Christoph Awender
Patron

Post by Christoph Awender »

Hello

The numbers on vehicles have a certain meaning within the unit
In this case (three digit system) it would be
4 = Kompanie (Company)
1 = Zug or Batterie (PLatoon or battery)
2 = Vehicle number within the platoon

So the Stug you see is Vehicle number 2 in the 1st platoon of the 4th Company.

\Christoph
Martin Block
Enthusiast

Post by Martin Block »

Hello Stransky,

if we're talking about the Pz.Lehr-Rgt. 130 of the Pz.Lehr-Div. I'm afraid it's hardly possible that your photo shows a StuG of that unit. Usually the 1. - 4. Kp. formed the I. Abteilung (battalion) of a Pz.Rgt. and in case of the Pz.Lehr-Division the attached I./Pz.Rgt. 6 (replacing the yet non-existing I./130 for most parts of 1944) was equipped with the Pz. V Panther.

It could also not have belonged for instance to Pz.Jg.Lehr-Abt. 130 because that unit had only 3 companies and was equipped with other types of AFVs anyway.

During the first half of 1944 the were StuG in the attached Pz.Kp.(Fkl.) 316 but they did not form part of the I. Abt./Pz.Rgt. and as far as can be established (see M. Jaugitz, Funklenkpanzer) carried no 'turret numbers' at all.

Martin Block
Jan-Hendrik
Patron

Post by Jan-Hendrik »

Hi, Stewart, that's:
During the first half of 1944 the were StuG in the attached Pz.Kp.(Fkl.) 316 but they did not form part of the I. Abt./Pz.Rgt. and as far as can be established (see M. Jaugitz, Funklenkpanzer) carried no 'turret numbers' at all.

why I think your pic may belong to 4./PzAbt. 301 (Fkl) :wink:

Indeed, a nice pic 8)

:beer:

Jan-Hendrik
Stransky
Supporter

Post by Stransky »

Here is the photo. Hope to meet a crew member in a few weeks time...:-)

The veteran who is in the photo was Pz Lehr at some point. The photo is from Fallingbostel in 1944 when he was training on different vehicles (Pz III and Pz IV) so this might not necessarily be a StuG belonging to either Pz Lehr or the FKL.
I had no part in it!
Martin Block
Enthusiast

Post by Martin Block »

Thanks for showing the photo, Stransky! Well, that makes more sense now! The Panzer-Lehr-Rgt. was the demostration and training unit of the Pz.Truppenschule Bergen/Fallingbostel before being used to form Pz.Lehr-Rgt. 130 and other units of the Pz.Lehr-Div. in France in January 1944. After its departure only a Pz.Lehr-Abteilung der Pz.Tr.Schule Bergen was raised again instead of a regiment. Both the 'old' Lehr-Rgt. and the 'new' Lehr-Abt. had available a variety of Panzers and StuG. So what we see here is indeed most probably a StuG of the Pz.Tr.Schule in Bergen/Fallingbostel.

Martin Block
ratdog
Contributor

Re: Stug 412 - What's in a number?

Post by ratdog »

Stransky wrote:Hope someone can help me here.

I am no expert on vehicles but I have a private photo of a Stug with a turret number of 412. Can anyone tell me if its possible to determine anything interesting from the number? For example, is it possible to find a record for this individual vehicle based on this number??

The year should be 1944, unit should be Pz Lehr Regt.

Grateful for any help!
If you have a Stug pic, it doesn't have a turret number due to not having a turret!!!!! ..................Terminology Police
sniper1shot

Post by sniper1shot »

That is a nice picture.
Nice looking AFV too. Thanks.
Only he is lost who gives himself up as lost.
Stransky
Supporter

Post by Stransky »

Well, I met the verteran in the photo and I can confirm that the unit is 4. Kompanie Pz Lehr 130...

Very interesting guy with a lot of stories
I had no part in it!
Paulus II
Patron

Post by Paulus II »

Stransky wrote:Very interesting guy with a lot of stories
I'd be very interested in those stories! Could you post some (parts) of them?

Cheers,

Paul
marcb

Post by marcb »

What's the exhaust looking thing on the engine deck?
best regards,

Marc
C.GILLONO
Supporter

Post by C.GILLONO »

marcb wrote:What's the exhaust looking thing on the engine deck?
Additional air filter?
HTH
Amateurs talk tactics, historians study logistics, but what about amateur historians?
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

If it's a training StuG it COULD be part of a Holzgas setup!
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Paulus II
Patron

Post by Paulus II »

I'd say it is part of a gas installation to replace (or supplement) the regular fuel as is frequently seen later in the war. Not sure if it was Holzgas, seems rather small for that.
Haven't found any picture of this contraption in any of my books but will keep an eye out for this.

Cheers,

Paul
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

I've seem an artist's impression of the postulated holzgas-powered Panther that had two of these on each side of the side armour behind the turret line. In THAT case they were gastanks, but doesn't seem to be the case here. But very reminiscent :wink:
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds