...on vacation...

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

Dragunov
Associate
Location: Ottawa, The True North Strong And Free (and rather cold)

...on vacation...

Post by Dragunov »

greetings!

anyone else abroad and away? had fun with the airport security? i'm hiding far from where I live, so far that the total flight time was 29 hours... :evil: but it was worth it. so i get to make vitimin D and smell polluted air for the next some days. totally worth it... just for the fresh fruit. and food, and shopping...

so, anone else abroad? post a pic or something... and feel free to complain about the security measures.

cheers!
Dragunov, Not Here (Singapore)
When Stalin says "Dance" a wise man dances.- Nikita Kruschev
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

I drove through Canada. Is that remote enough?

Hell, you been on the 402 from Sarnia eastwards? There ain't nothin' there!
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
panzermahn
Associate

Re: ...on vacation...

Post by panzermahn »

Dragunov wrote:greetings!

anyone else abroad and away? had fun with the airport security? i'm hiding far from where I live, so far that the total flight time was 29 hours... :evil: but it was worth it. so i get to make vitimin D and smell polluted air for the next some days. totally worth it... just for the fresh fruit. and food, and shopping...

so, anone else abroad? post a pic or something... and feel free to complain about the security measures.

cheers!
Dragunov, Not Here (Singapore)
Hi Dragunov,

You're going to Singapore? Will you be stopping by in Malaysia?

Regards
Panzermahn
Dragunov
Associate

Post by Dragunov »

augh! hell, damn and blast! :wink: you're in Canada when i'm out! grrr.... when I move, it's nearly always east, and rarely to Toronto and further. haven't been to that heavenly city for a while actually... thank goodness. i can save my lungs for other places to rot.

and Panzermahn- i'm in Penang actually! 8) i was going to give you a shout about some fortifications (?) along a highway (jalan kelawei?) but i suppose that won't be neccessary now. know any thing abut them? and could you reccomend a book on the invasion of these parts and suggest a store where it could be bought? i guess the Borders at Queensbay would be the logical answer, but that's sooo far... I shoulda bought that 'history of snipers' there.... too bad. gah. and not so sure about a meet, my folks seem quite stern about things. dunno.

and by the by, the fruit here is AWESOME! yeahhhhhhhh!

could go on and on... but i'm being egged off the compouter... which is painfully slow.

regards,
Dragunov and his non-existant henchmen.
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Too far to get to the Museum at Changi?
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
panzermahn
Associate

Post by panzermahn »

Dragunov wrote:augh! hell, damn and blast! :wink: you're in Canada when i'm out! grrr.... when I move, it's nearly always east, and rarely to Toronto and further. haven't been to that heavenly city for a while actually... thank goodness. i can save my lungs for other places to rot.

and Panzermahn- i'm in Penang actually! 8) i was going to give you a shout about some fortifications (?) along a highway (jalan kelawei?) but i suppose that won't be neccessary now. know any thing abut them? and could you reccomend a book on the invasion of these parts and suggest a store where it could be bought? i guess the Borders at Queensbay would be the logical answer, but that's sooo far... I shoulda bought that 'history of snipers' there.... too bad. gah. and not so sure about a meet, my folks seem quite stern about things. dunno.

and by the by, the fruit here is AWESOME! yeahhhhhhhh!

could go on and on... but i'm being egged off the compouter... which is painfully slow.

regards,
Dragunov and his non-existant henchmen.
Hi Dragunov!

You're in Penang? Damm! I am in United States right now. You can actually go to Borders in Queensbay Mall or MPH bookstore at Gurney Plaza to look for some other books.

Did you go to the war museum at Batu Maung? Nearby my house, there is a WW2 pillbox and it is located at Sg. Ara near the traffic light at Relau.

At Pulau Jerejak, (the island which you see from Queensbay Mall) is actually one of bases of the German WW2 Monsoon U-Boat Flotilla but so far I havn't found any books on the German U-Boat in Penang).

YEs, the fruit is awesome. Have you try the King of the Fruits? It is called "durian" in the local language. Now is the season of durians in Penang.

When will you be leaving Penang?

REgards
Panzermahn
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Durian - is that the one that smells like sh1t if you SMELL it, but TASTES completely the opposite???
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
panzermahn
Associate

Post by panzermahn »

phylo_roadking wrote:Durian - is that the one that smells like sh1t if you SMELL it, but TASTES completely the opposite???
Hi Phylo,

You got that right :D

A lot of westerners whom I met in Penang said that they were disgusted by the smell, but when they ate eat, it taste good :)

Panzermahn
Paulus II
Patron

Post by Paulus II »

Holidays are already over for me but what a holiday it has been!!

Neurenberg, Linz, Braunau, Vienna, Prague, Leipzig and just about every village in between :D

Too bad about the rain but at least driving 2000+ km in the rain is less annoying than any airport hassle :wink:
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

What were you doing, pretending to be RUSSIAN??? :D :D :D
Paulus II
Patron

Post by Paulus II »

Nope, just chasing the sun through central Europe :D
Failed miserably :(

You can't get away from the war in that region though :D .
Visit Neurenberg for its old city centre and find that your campsite is a five minute walk from the stadium where the Party Rallies were held.
Drive on to Linz and the first exit on the Autobahn in Austria is 'Braunau'. When there....take a look.
Having passed Linz, cross the Danube to visit a Keltic museum and the first village you come through is Mauthausen. The former KZ is easily found (first signpost you see)
Walking through the zoo in Vienna's Schönbrunn there is a large hole in the ground marked "Allied bomb crater". Must have helped the wareffort a lot to bomb the elephants.
Visit Europe's largest underground lake and find that, besides it being a touristtrap, the He 162 Volksjäger fuselages were built there.

Next year I want to drive to Moscow. That trip may involve some pretending :D :D
Dragunov
Associate

Post by Dragunov »

sorry, man! i'm leaving Penang like... 2 days from now. lots to do...

we did go by the war museum... but my dad said it was too expensive, and i didn't get a chance to complain about it later. augh. is it worth it? 25 RM (reichsmarks :D ) for 1 'foreigner'?

holy crap! that island has a nice beach too. how to get there? i guess i could swim...

and you live down there? we passed he bunker there when we returned from Queensbay. pity we didn't stop...

got a book on the fall of Singapore (not sure if it's got a anything Malaysia, was trying to get through those 1500 pages of 'the rise and fall of the Third reich' doubt i'll get it done anytime soon. well, at least it isn't so boring... unlike 'a history of Finland'. took that out from the library for 3 months... didn't finish.

haha, about the durian... tried some this time round... almost puked. yeah, it smells too. always disliked the stuff... I prefer the 'queen of fruits', the mangosteen. much cooler 8) or the jumbu air. not really in season now though...