suppose you were bored, you had a MG42 and alot of ammo...

German weapons, vehicles and equipment 1919-1945.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Dragunov
Associate
Location: Ottawa, The True North Strong And Free (and rather cold)

suppose you were bored, you had a MG42 and alot of ammo...

Post by Dragunov »

so if you and your minions loaded a metric ton of 7.92 mauser into a few kilometers of belts, linked them all together and loaded up your MG42 and then fired a really long burst (more than 250 rds), what would happen to the MG? would it explode as it overheated or....?

[insert grumbling aboot retarded gun laws here]

Cheers!
Dragunov
When Stalin says "Dance" a wise man dances.- Nikita Kruschev
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

The barrel would overheat, and droop. Rounds through the side of the barrel are bad!!!
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
Dragunov
Associate

Post by Dragunov »

oh. so it would get so hot that gravity would bend the barrel then and...! cool!

so that first and not a cook-off of a round or some jam or something?
Michael_S

Post by Michael_S »

The barrel would overheat, and droop. Rounds through the side of the barrel are bad!!!
Yup that sums it up. Going cyclic with a 1000 round belt is fun and cool 8) But really bad for the MG :shock: :( So is the ensuing kick in the rear by your platoon Sgt @{
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Of course, one can have fun!

When our MEF left the Med back in '86, we had a bunch of stuff to burn up. It had been so dry that when we had live fire exercises, we weren't allowed to use any tracer or pyro. Well, on the island of Sardinia, we set up for a reeeeally cool shoot off.

The MG section spent the afternoon linking several feet worth of tracers into belts. The riflemen spent time loading magazines for M16s and M249s. All the signal flares, star shells and popup flares were prepped.

Once it got dark, we let loose with all this. It was awesome! We also found out that the tanks with us had made similar preps, so we got to watch their show, too!

Nothing like burning through a 200-round belt of solid tracer!!!
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
Dragunov
Associate

Post by Dragunov »

hey tom-

at the end of this vid, there's a real pretty fireworks show-- gatling gun, all tracer at night. it's like a pure stream of fire. the muzzle flash is spectacular also...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFkQmB1WNRw
Tony
Supporter

Post by Tony »

The worst thing that could happen would the barrel melt. Unless the machinegun is closed bolt (which they usually never are to prevent cook-offs), your round wont cook off cause the round is on the bolt face and not in the chamber. I know cause I'm a machinegunner and bout melted the barrel one time :D . When I went to Belize a few months ago, the range working party got to expend the rest of the 5.56 rounds. 6,000 rounds of tracers and only 7 M4-M230 rifles! It was a blast.

Tony
"When you dance with death, you wait until the song ends."
- Josef Stalin
Tony
Supporter

Post by Tony »

Sorry on the typo, I ment M203s. Got typing too fast!

Tony
"When you dance with death, you wait until the song ends."
- Josef Stalin
5RANGLIAN
Contributor

Post by 5RANGLIAN »

Tony wrote:The worst thing that could happen would the barrel melt. Unless the machinegun is closed bolt (which they usually never are to prevent cook-offs), your round wont cook off cause the round is on the bolt face and not in the chamber. I know cause I'm a machinegunner and bout melted the barrel one time :D . When I went to Belize a few months ago, the range working party got to expend the rest of the 5.56 rounds. 6,000 rounds of tracers and only 7 M4-M230 rifles! It was a blast.

Tony
Ah, so now we know who's responsible for global warming!! :wink:
All armies can be divided into two parts:
1. Infantry;
2. Support arms.
mightythor99
Enthusiast

the worst that can happen.................

Post by mightythor99 »

actually, the worst that can happen, is that you get everything so hot, that it fires out of battery, which means not inside the barrel, and you blow up your reciever,..............which, in today's mg42 market,..........is about $40,000-50,000. enough to make even a big man cry. i've seen it happen.
i've seen that, 2 fn49's (one in 8mm, one in 7mm mauser) blow, a swedish lungmann, and an italian model 1870 verletti let go. also saw a 1911a1 blow. not too much fun for the owner/shooter. expensive, messes up your hands, with powder burns, cuts and abrasions, same thing to face. can put out an eye, or cut you up pretty badly.
broken firing pin was cause of fn49's follies. reloads caused the verletti, lungmann, and 45 blow. never did determine why the mg42 went.
when the chinese sks's came out that took ak clips, "we" took one of those out,.............and loaded up a lot of clips, and went to town. had two people reloading clips, and ended up having a great field test. at about 1000 rounds, the barrel got really hot, and started tossing rounds a few feet away from teh target at 100 yards. at about 2000 rounds, the handguard was being seriously burned, at about 2500 rounds, had our first jam. let everything cool back down,.............handguard was totally charred black and burned badly. once cool again, shot right on the money again. imo,.............buy one of those, or an ak, for reliability.
for a mg, i'd go with fn mag. i've seen those fired so much, that the entire barrel was cherry hot, and it never missed a beat. quick detached barrel, let it cool back down, and it was fine again. was from one of the guys who is a regular at knob creek, as well as that shoot in arizona that someone sent a link for!
:beer: :beer:
I am interested in buying / trading for photo albums, photo groupings, diaries, feldpost groupings,etc, from any country in the world, any army/navy, etc, mostly 20th century!!
Knox
Banned

Post by Knox »

As a soldier in the german Bundeswehr, I had the chance to fire the MG3, several times, in Germany, and in Canada...

MG3: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/MG3

Not "my" weapon, never, back then I fired the G3, "my rifle", 498 out of 500.

The "UZI" was horrible, what a piece of ****! %E

Knox
Dragunov
Associate

Post by Dragunov »

lucky :roll:

what were you doing with a MG 3 in Canada? we have those on our leopard tanks... and nothing else, as far as i know. was it a multi-national training thing?