Berlin Air Raid, February 03, 1945

The Allies 1939-1945, and those fighting against Germany.

Moderator: John W. Howard

RSW

Berlin Air Raid, February 03, 1945

Post by RSW »

Greetings forum!
I just finished watching a documentary on the History Channel concerning the Allied bombing raid on Berlin on February 03, 1945. It left me numb after listening to survivor stories and the horrors many had to live through.
I didn't know that this raid left 125,000 homeless, 20,000 killed and untold injured and missing. 1,500 people were buried alive and rescued.
The Allied bomber dropped high explosives/firebombs on Berlin that day.
The Allied command when debriefing this mission had agreed that the Berlin raid was one of the most successful raids, grading it as good to very good! 81 more air raids would be carried out until Berlin capitulated.

I have 3 questions in relation to this raid;
(1):Allies justified raid because it would crush enemy morale and hurt industry, Did they succeed?Was the German will to fight diminished as a result of such raids?
(2):Berlin's anti-aircraft defences, What kind of resistance would the Allied bomber crews had experienced on that day?
(3):Shot down Allied bombers and crews. What would the fate of such crews had been in the latter stages of the war if captured?
Hopefully someone in this excellent forum can shed some light on my questions and provide some answers! :idea:
Best regards,
Robert
adrian
Supporter

Post by adrian »

Now I have a couple of questions for you!

As you may have known there was a war on. I wonder (in proportion of course) how many people were dislocated by advancing forces in relation to those dislocated by bombing? The numbers may of course be blurred but what sort of a ballpark figure would we be talking?

My next question is this: Is one European life worth multiple Asian ones? People prattle on about about Dresden etc etc yet never mention the USAAF raids on the Japanese home Islands? The total area's destroyed are greater,loss of life is greater, dislocated persons greater, yet we pretty well ignore it. Why is this so? Its (as in the raids) an obvious case of 'Area' bombing but no one ever calls Roosevelt or Truman a "war criminal" in regard to this. Why is this so?

My final question stands as this. If the raids on Germany post february 1945, were considered (by some, not all) 'morally unnecessary' then what do we regard the raids post 9 Aug 45? 800 US aircraft (of all types)struck the Japanese home islands on the 14th of August. British carrier aircraft launched strikes on the morning of 15 Aug 45. Is this any different?

Any thoughts?

regards,
adrian
Jez
Associate

Post by Jez »

"Prattle"?!
RSW

Post by RSW »

Hi Adrian,
Thanks for posting a reply but my questions were regarding the Berlin raid in particular, not Allied bombing/morality of Japanese raids. A life is equal to another, but lets concentrate on the Berlin area of questioning please.
regards,
Robert