17th SS in Nov/Dec 44

German SS and Waffen-SS 1923-1945.
recondo

17th SS in Nov/Dec 44

Post by recondo »

Greetings

I was wondering if anyone can refer me to any books or websites that deal directly with the combat operations of the 17thSS in the last week of Nov 44 thru the second week of Dec 44.
Iam researching the Fighting that took place in the area of the Blies River (Habkirchen, OberGeilbach, etc etc) during that time frame. I visited the area numreous times when I was stationed in Germany. I chose it as an area of study at the time because the fighting that took place there was of a managable scope for my limited time for research and it was one helluva tough fight. I have many artifacts that I recovered from the area and met many locals who lived thru the whole ordeal, but, of course no actual german vets of the action.
Any help is of course greatly appreciated...
John
heinz kling

Das Sturmflau und das Ende

Post by heinz kling »

It was published in 3 volumes, and authored by H. Stoiber (first 2) and H. Gunther. The price, in Euro (roughly equivalent to one US dollar) is, for the 3 volumes, 29.65, 28.65 and 31.70. You can buy them from Buchdienst DVG,email them at [email protected]
recondo

Post by recondo »

Iam not familiar with these volunes, could someone fill me in, dont want to buy them if they are not what Im looking for.
John
JEROME Georges
Supporter

17 SS GvB

Post by JEROME Georges »

Living in Metz which was in the center of fights of end 44 involving 17 SS
I've a serie of books on various units serving in the area

- SPIWOKS/STRÖBER Endkampf zwichen Mosel und Inn
dealing with XIII SS Army Corps cover 17 GVB between september 44 and may 45.

- STROBER Hans Die Eiserne Faust Bildband und Chronik
half of book (50pages on 107 pages) cover november and after with numerous pictures.

- Hellmuth Gunther
Die STurmflut und das Ende
band (volume ) 3 : mit dem Rücken zur Wend cover the last months of the unit.

and finally the BEST

Kriegstagebuch der Division GVB
by Hellmuth Gunther AND M. Wind
which reproduce 531 documents in 871 pages

a master piece
Erich
Enthusiast

last 17th SS book......

Post by Erich »

Jerome :

The last work bei Schild Verlag is out of print. Any suggestions as to where one might be able to find a copy of this big book ?

thanks !

E 8)
recondo

Jerome

Post by recondo »

Jerome
I visited Metz often for the big flea market. If you have a chance you should travel to the town of Habkirchen on the Blies. Very tough US river crossing defended by 17thSS and others. The area still has many fighting positions and old bunkers. The woods above Nieder Geilbach are loaded with trenches and relics.
Ive done much research on the US side of the operation and am just starting to research the German side of it.
Iam returning to France this spring for a two week stay in Normandy and may have a chance to re-visit the Metz area during this time.

John
Erich
Enthusiast

A new book: Metz 1944, One more River

Post by Erich »

John/ and others.....

A new book released sometime in May of 2003, Heimdal pubs, English/French text, pics and maps throughout. Anthony Kemp. 8 1/2x12, 400 pages. hardback. ISBN # 2-84048-169-3 $ 69.95 US

this maybe of interest I hope !

Erich 8)
lebedo
Supporter

Re: 17th SS in Nov/Dec 44

Post by lebedo »

Does any body knows the strength and equipment of thedivision when it was involved in the fighting near Metz in September 44?
Alex Dekker
Associate

Re: last 17th SS book......

Post by Alex Dekker »

Erich wrote:Jerome :

The last work bei Schild Verlag is out of print. Any suggestions as to where one might be able to find a copy of this big book ?

thanks !

E 8)
I bought mine at Ebay at 80 euro's or so. You might try http://www.zvab.com, but it could be expensive. On the other hand, it's worth it. It covers all the fightings, strenght at certain dates, interogations of US POW's, after action reports, etc.
Always in need for info about: Dutchmen in the NSKK, HJ and TeNo.
JEROME Georges
Supporter

Re: 17th SS in Nov/Dec 44

Post by JEROME Georges »

Additionnal source :

Götz von Berlichingen volume 2 lorraine allemagne by Jean Claude Perrigault and Rolf Meister

english german french album upon 17e SS full of maps, pics, docs 365 pages 2005 heimdal

Best ever red on the subject

Georges