Luftwaffe Pilot Honor Goblet

German Luftwaffe 1935-1945.
kegan32

Post by kegan32 »

I have an Honor Goblet for a Luftwaffe pilot named Paul Claas. So far, have not been able to find any information on him. Anybody out there have any information?
Andy_F
Supporter

Post by Andy_F »

Hi Kegan,

Maj Paul Claas MIA 20Jun43

St.Kap. 2./KG 26 (as of 14Nov41), Gr.Kdr. IV.(Erg.)/KG 100 15Feb42-Oct42, Gr.Kdr. I./KG 100 Oct42-20Jun43

DKiG 14Nov41, RK 14Mar43

Not sure if it's your man but it stands a good chance.

Best Regards

Andy_F
Per Speculationem Impellor ad Intelligendum
Lorenz
Patron

Re: Luftwaffe Pilot Honor Goblet

Post by Lorenz »

kegan32 wrote:I have an Honor Goblet for a Luftwaffe pilot named Paul Claas. So far, have not been able to find any information on him. Anybody out there have any information?
Here's a little more to add to the essentials that Andy has already provided, especially concerning his fate:

CLAAS, Paul. (DOB: 12.12.08 in Linden/Ruhr). (R, DKG). 08.40 flew first combat mission (presumably in KG 26) and over the following months completed 103 against targets in the U.K.. 14.11.41 Hptm., awarded DKG, 2./KG 26. 15.02.42 Hptm., appt Kdr. IV./KG 100 (to 10.42). 01.04.42 promo to Maj. 10.42 Maj., appt Kdr. I./KG 100. (to 20.06.43). 14.03.43 Maj., awarded Ritterkreuz, Kdr., I./KG 100. 20.06.43 MIA – in He 111 H11 (6N+MH, Wk.Nr. 110023) shot down during a night attack on enemy shipping in the Caspian Sea; later declared dead. Credited with a total of 311 combat missions, the sinking and damaging of several ships, and the destruction of a number of trains.

You can find some further mention of him in:

Balke, Ulf. Kampfgeschwader 100 “Wiking”: Eine Geschichte aus Kriegstagebüchern, Dokumenten und Berichten 1934-1945 (Stuttgart, 1981).

I checked the KG 26 unit history and there is no mention of him there.

HTH,

--Lorenz

P.S. Paul CLAAS is not listed as being a recipient of the "Honor Goblet" (Ehrenpokal) in the standard reference work for this award:

Scheibert, Horst. Die Träger der Ehrenblattspange des Heeres und der Waffen-SS - Die Träger der Ehrentafelspange der Kriegsmarine - Die Inhaber des Ehrenpokals für besondere Leistung im Luftkrieg. Freidberg: Podzun-Pallas-Verlag, 1986. ISBN 3-7909-0283-7.

Because of this, you may want to do some investigating.
kegan32

Post by kegan32 »

Andy and Lorenz. Thanks for your replies. This is probably the Claas mentioned in your replies. At the time of award of the goblet (22 May 1941), he was a Hauptman. Seems to be the right time-frame. Kegan32
Andy_F
Supporter

Post by Andy_F »

I've got a note that Claas was flying with I./KG 100 during Summer 1940 but had discounted this as as an error as I./KG 100 wasn't formed until 15Dec41 from KGr. 100, so maybe he started his operational career with KGr. 100?

On the following link http://www.ww2.dk/air/kampf/kg100.htm it states that "... a new 2./KG 100 was formed 31May42 from 4./KG 26" so maybe that's the connection between Claas moving from KG 26 to KG 100?

All speculation on my part.

As a highly decorated and experienced pilot Claas may be mentioned in Georg Brϋtting's book on bomber aces (I can't remember the name and don't have access to a copy)

Best Regards

Andy_F
Lorenz
Patron

Post by Lorenz »

On the following link http://www.ww2.dk/air/kampf/kg100.htm it states that "... a new 2./KG 100 was formed 31May42 from 4./KG 26" so maybe that's the connection between Claas moving from KG 26 to KG 100?
Hi Andy,

You are right; I'm virtually certain the 4./KG 26 > 2./KG 100 lineage is correct for him, and May 1942 would be when he ended his service with KG 26 and began called I./KG 100 his new home.

As for Georg Brütting's, Das Waren die deutschen Kampfflieger-Asse 1939-1945 (Stuttgart: Motorbuch Verlag, 1981), I have it and some of what I included in my earlier post comes from Brütting, such as his date and place of birth.

It seems strange to me that CLAAS is not mentioned in the Scheibert book as being a recipient of the Ehrenpokal. I checked all possible spellings in the event it was entered wrong, but came up empty. He's just not there. Wehrmacht Awards has numerous comments about reproductions, especially those from eastern Europe where there seems to be a virtual industry that cranks them out by the crate-full. I don't know specifically about the Ehrenpokal being one of the items in this category, but nothing would surprise me.

EBay has lead to a frenzy within the militaria collecting hobby, turning it from a small group of part-time enthusiasts into big business. The prices for the stuff have been bid through the roof, according to what I see over on Wehrmacht Awards. A simple Soldbuch or Wehrpass can go for $2,500, a good condition Soldbuch for a Major or above for $4,000, a DKiG award certificate with the boxed decoration can change hands for $7,500 to $10,000. A Ritterkreuz ranges between $20,000 and $30,000. There was a story on TV last night about a thief stealing 6 U.S. Medals of Honor from a display case aboard the USS Yorktown museum at Charleston, South Carolina. If he can find a buyer (which he will no doubt be able to do), the head of the Medal of Honor Society said they could easily go for $50,000 each. Insane, nichts wahr?

The problem in all this is that the marketplace has been flooded with the worthless reproductions and many young, inexperienced collectors are getting stuck. As the wise, old Romans used to say (in Latin, or course - :D ), "Let the buyer beware!"

Cheers,

--Lorenz
Andy_F
Supporter

Post by Andy_F »

Wouldn't it be unusual for a pilot who had received the DKiG and RK not to have already received the EP?

The prices some of these items go for is staggering. Fortunately for me I don't collect such items and if I did I couldn't afford those sort of prices. It just looks like a situation waiting to be abused - caveat emptor indeed.

Best Regards

Andy_F
Lorenz
Patron

Post by Lorenz »

Andy_F wrote:Wouldn't it be unusual for a pilot who had received the DKiG and RK not to have already received the EP?
The prices some of these items go for is staggering. Fortunately for me I don't collect such items and if I did I couldn't afford those sort of prices. It just looks like a situation waiting to be abused - caveat emptor indeed.
Best Regards
Andy_F
No, actually it's pretty much the other way around, surprisingly. The Ehrenpokal was generally reserved for the lower ranks. It is rather unusual to find a Major with one, and the number of Hauptleute who held that rank at the time of the award are far and few between, too. Of the 10,375 Ehrenpokal awards made by the Luftwaffe, 99.3% went to Oberleutnante and below. Right from its inception, it was designed to fill the award gap below the DKiG so air crew Borkfunker, Bordmechaniker, Bordschütze, Bordwart as well as the lower ranking Flugzeugführer and Beobachter could be rewarded for outstanding performance or accomplishment. Only about 10% or less of the DKiG and RK holders seem to have also had the Ehrenpokal. It was never awarded to someone who already had the DKiG and/or the RK.

--Lorenz
kegan32

Post by kegan32 »

Hi guys. I've been reading all the comments about the Honor Goblet I have. I can honestly say that the goblet I have is 100% original. It is the silver model. All measurements are right on the money. This goblet has been viewed by "experts" and all agree it is an original. While Claas' name is not on the Ehrenpokal List is something that I cannot explain and I appreciate all the research that you members have done to help me out with this. If anybody has further comments, I welcome all of them. One thing I have heard and read is that Luftwaffe name records are not near 100% and somewhere around 75%. I guess then that my guy is one in the 25% of missing records. Again thanks to all. kegan
Andy_F
Supporter

Post by Andy_F »

Lorenz wrote:
No, actually it's pretty much the other way around, surprisingly. The Ehrenpokal was generally reserved for the lower ranks. It is rather unusual to find a Major with one, and the number of Hauptleute who held that rank at the time of the award are far and few between, too. Of the 10,375 Ehrenpokal awards made by the Luftwaffe, 99.3% went to Oberleutnante and below. Right from its inception, it was designed to fill the award gap below the DKiG so air crew Borkfunker, Bordmechaniker, Bordschütze, Bordwart as well as the lower ranking Flugzeugführer and Beobachter could be rewarded for outstanding performance or accomplishment. Only about 10% or less of the DKiG and RK holders seem to have also had the Ehrenpokal. It was never awarded to someone who already had the DKiG and/or the RK.

--Lorenz
Hi Lorenz,

Thanks for explaining that, I thought the EP was one rung on the awards ladder before the possible award of the DKiG and higher.

Cheers

Andy_F
Lorenz
Patron

Post by Lorenz »

kegan32 wrote:
One thing I have heard and read is that Luftwaffe name records are not near 100% and somewhere around 75%. I guess then that my guy is one in the 25% of missing records.
I am glad to read that you have done your homework. As my grandmother used to say, "an ounce of caution is worth a pound of cure."

Sure, it's possible for some to slip through and not appear on the published lists. For all their rumored methodical record-keeping, I have discovered that the Luftwaffenpersonalamt left a lot to be desired. They had quality control procedures in place, such as double- and triple-checking of assignment orders and other output, but there nevertheless were a lot of errors and omissions. Further, some of the personnel records and files were destroyed at the end of the war. Not en-masse like the operational records, but some crates of personnel papers and files did get mixed in with the rest and went up in smoke, either during the bombing of the Potsdam archive in February 1945 or intentionally during the first week of May 1945.

I would think that your Ehrenpokal might have added value since CLAAS is not listed in the reference material and that, of course, is a good thing.

If you discover any more details about him, I hope you will keep us posted. It would be interesting to know when he entered the Luftwaffe and where and when he took his training, for example.

--Lorenz
mightythor99
Enthusiast

expensive stuff

Post by mightythor99 »

Lorenz wrote:

EBay has lead to a frenzy within the militaria collecting hobby, turning it from a small group of part-time enthusiasts into big business. The prices for the stuff have been bid through the roof, according to what I see over on Wehrmacht Awards. A simple Soldbuch or Wehrpass can go for $2,500, a good condition Soldbuch for a Major or above for $4,000, a DKiG award certificate with the boxed decoration can change hands for $7,500 to $10,000. A Ritterkreuz ranges between $20,000 and $30,000. There was a story on TV last night about a thief stealing 6 U.S. Medals of Honor from a display case aboard the USS Yorktown museum at Charleston, South Carolina. If he can find a buyer (which he will no doubt be able to do), the head of the Medal of Honor Society said they could easily go for $50,000 each. Insane, nichts wahr?

The problem in all this is that the marketplace has been flooded with the worthless reproductions and many young, inexperienced collectors are getting stuck. As the wise, old Romans used to say (in Latin, or course - :D ), "Let the buyer beware!"

Cheers,

--Lorenz

what you are really saying, is that if someone is willing to spend $10,000 or $30,000 on an item for their collection,..............simply spending the money, ISNT PROOF THAT SOMETHING IS REAL. it still pays off to reseach what you are wanting to invest your money in! spend $100 on a book, so you know exactly what you are looking for,....and what "shouldnt" be on the piece! when i used to set up at shows all the time, it always amazed me, that some people would be so excited when they spent big money on something,......and didnt even know what they had actually bought. it also would always amaze me, to see 10 SS helmets on one guy's table...........and the decals all looked exactly the same,.........but, sell one or two of THOSE helmets,.......and he'd have as good, or better a show then i would, fending off all of the shop lifters and touchy feelie people!!
I am interested in buying / trading for photo albums, photo groupings, diaries, feldpost groupings,etc, from any country in the world, any army/navy, etc, mostly 20th century!!
Humberto Corado

Post by Humberto Corado »

[/quote]

--Lorenz[/quote]

hello Lorenz,

this number (10375) of ehrenpokal awarded, it is a reliable number??? or could be more the pieces realy awarded??

Thanks!
kegan32

Re: Luftwaffe Pilot Honor Goblet

Post by kegan32 »

On 17 Feb 2007, I queried the forum about the Luftwaffe pilot Major Paul Claas. Since that time, I have been able to not only find some further information about him, but also a picture. Apparently, he was awarded the Honor Goblet 22 May 1941, while still a Leutnant in the Luftwaffe. If anyone is interested further in Claas, I found a website giving further information on his service and awards at http://www.ritterkreuztraeger-1939-45.d ... s-Paul.htm
Also, I have posted information on him on my website at http://kegans-militaria.webstarts.com/pictures.html
Any further information and or pictures of Claas is welcomed. Thanks for everyone's help.