Pictures of my Uncle in Uniform.

A place to post photographs and to ask about photographic research.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Doktor Krollspell
Patron

Post by Doktor Krollspell »

Hello G. Teske and welcome to Feldgrau!

I'm sorry to hear about your Uncle Günther. A young man only 20 years of age... It's nice though that your family have saved these photographs and that you now share them with us. May I ask what unit your Uncle belonged to when he was killed in Normandy in 1944? And do you know anything about the circumstances regarding his service and ultimately his death?

With best regards,

Krollspell
"Wie es eigentlich gewesen ist"
Leopold von Ranke (1795-1886)
GTeske

Post by GTeske »

While in the Hitler Youth Gunther was awarded the War Merit Cross without swords. Gunther loved motorcycles and was in the German army in a motorcycle unit. He was killed in action, being blown off of his motorcycle by a grenade. I dont know what the unit was or what battle, I wish I did. I also wonder if he was awarded anything else after the pictures were taken (showing the war merit cross) and before his death.

G. Teske
McGregor

Post by McGregor »

I think the Canadians attacked Caan around that date. There was a big raid on Caan and the area around it by Lancasters. Perhaps this is helpful? I googled the dates and started looking around for Axis battle reports and dispatches- The allies had started with their push on Paris at this point so he may have been killed in one of the opening skirmishes. Nantes had just been evacuated by German troops so there probably would have also been some rear guard fighting.
Brigadefuhrer_Grim

Post by Brigadefuhrer_Grim »

May I ask what his rank was before he died?
tirola
Supporter

Post by tirola »

The grave stone says "Grenadier", the lowest rank.

But what is the ribbon that he is wearing? That looks like a EK from WW1 to me. But he wasn't even born then. What is it? Could it be a KVK ribbon?
mightythor99
Enthusiast

you've got enough info.......................

Post by mightythor99 »

you should write the bundes arkiv, and request the info on him. i'd send em a photo copy of that grave marker, and maybe they can tell you something about the other guy too,.....might be more information for your quest.
looks like a war merit cross ribbon bar to me. i bet he was awarded other medals/decorations too. he was "prime" age for war years........he would have enlisted or been drafted by 1942.............he's got a metal cap eagle on his model '43 cap, that's early mod. for sure, having a parade tunic makes him pretty early too. not too many parades after '40-41ish........
I am interested in buying / trading for photo albums, photo groupings, diaries, feldpost groupings,etc, from any country in the world, any army/navy, etc, mostly 20th century!!