SS Cavalry question

German SS and Waffen-SS 1923-1945.
Bratwurst Boy

SS Cavalry question

Post by Bratwurst Boy »

Did SS cavalry (or indeed Wehrmacht cavalry?) ever fight from horseback, or was the horse used purely as a means of transport?
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

Post by Doktor Krollspell »

Hello Bratwurst Boy and welcome to Feldgrau!

No charges à la the Light Brigade as far as I'm aware of. At least not agains any kind of regular enemy forces at the frontlines and on the battlefields. Then again, several cavalry units (especially in the Waffen-SS) where empoyed as rear-guard security forces and extensivly used in anti-partisan operations and also in action agains civilian targets.

See the following link to a discussion on Fegelein and the Florian Geyer Division...

http://www.feldgrau.net/phpBB2/viewtopi ... t=fegelein

Regards,

Krollspell
"Wie es eigentlich gewesen ist"
Leopold von Ranke (1795-1886)
Njorl
Contributor

Post by Njorl »

Doktor Krollspell wrote:No charges à la the Light Brigade as far as I'm aware of. At least not agains any kind of regular enemy forces at the frontlines and on the battlefields.
On contrary, I know of one such engagement. Described as a classic, if I may say, including melee with white edged weapons while mounted :!: . It took place in the beginning of September 1939 between subunit of 1st Cavalry Brigade (East-Prussian IIRC) and some Polish cavalry unit (most probably a squadron of some cavalry brigade). I would have to look it up in a book though to find when and where it happened.

Cheers
"Always be ready to speak your mind and a base man will avoid you" W. Blake, Proverbs of Hell
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

Post by Doktor Krollspell »

Hello Njorl!

That sounds very interesting indeed. I would really like to read some more detailed account of this melee and some sources to go with it... When it comes to the subject of classical cavalry charges/action and the German-Polish war in 1939, there seem to be some, almost mythical anecdotes.

Regards,

Krollspell
"Wie es eigentlich gewesen ist"
Leopold von Ranke (1795-1886)
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Yep, I've heard over the years the comment "the last recorded cavalry charge in history" bandied around about almost every single war or police action of the 20th century LMAO
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Well, if we can get proof of some sort of mounted cavalry engagement, it will give new life to all those 1/35 cavalry figures!
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
Jan-Hendrik
Patron

Post by Jan-Hendrik »

IMHO the last mounted cavalery attack was in August or september 1944 near Marki ( northeast of Warschau ) by a few squadrns of hungarian 1st Husarendiv. !They rode down their enemy in the early morning as the red Army was about to gather for an attack on Marki .

Jan-Hendrik
Paulus II
Patron

Post by Paulus II »

The Hungarian charge at Marki is also the last one that I ever read about.
Didn't some of the Cossacks in Wehrmacht (or SS?) service carry out a charge in 1942/3. I seem to remember a picture of that event though it may well have been a propaganda item :?

Regards,

Paul
Njorl
Contributor

Post by Njorl »

Found it.

Place: Krasnobród (SE Poland, halfway between Lublin and Lvov)
Date: morning, September 23rd, 1939
Polish unit: 1st squadron of 25th Uhlans/Lancers Regiment, Novogrodian Cavalry Brigade;
German unit: some subunit of 22nd Bambergian Cavalry Regiment - as my source says; it may have been 22 Reiterei-Regiment of 1st Cavalry Brigade (checked on lexikon-der-wehrmacht site).

I'll post the passage from my book later on.

Cheers
"Always be ready to speak your mind and a base man will avoid you" W. Blake, Proverbs of Hell
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi Guys,

Mounted charges took place in several conflicts after WWII. The last I know of under British jurisdiction took place in Rhodesia in the Mtoko Commercial Farming Area in late December 1979! There were later ones in Afghanistan.

Cheers,

Sid.
kingtiger88
Supporter

Post by kingtiger88 »

The last cavalry charge was by the KKK (Kalmyken Kavallerie Korps) on 17 Jan 1945 near Kielce in Poland against the Red Army. These minority Russians were under the payroll of the Wehrmacht. Needless to say, the charge was decimated at that stage and the KKK totally wiped out. After this the survivors were disbanded by the Wehrmacht and sent to join the ROA.

source-'The East came west', edited by Antonio J Munoz
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Talk about timing! I just read the posts wherein RC and DCC argue about the cause of the US Civil War, when I opened this thread, and found:
The last cavalry charge was by the KKK...
I almost choked! :shock:
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
Commissar D, the Evil

Post by Commissar D, the Evil »

Doesn't surprise me. Alabama, 1964, right?! :wink: :D :wink:

Best,
~D, the EviL
Death is lighter than a Feather, Duty is heavier than a Mountain....
Rolf Steiner
Associate

Post by Rolf Steiner »

must've been hell on those robes!
"And I will show you where the Iron Crosses grow!"
Rajin Cajun
Banned

Post by Rajin Cajun »

Funny since the KKK was a Confederate Calvary Fraternity before it evolved into the hate organization we all know and hate today. :D
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.