Oberstleutnant Helmut Michalik

Individual German officers, soldiers and award holders.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

Laurens
Supporter

Oberstleutnant Helmut Michalik

Post by Laurens »

Hello all,

Recently I searched the internet for more information about this man. I wrote 'Oberstleutnant' in the subject field of this topic, since this was his rank at the time he was in Belgium (during the invasion in May 1940). Later on, he would be promoted as a commander of the 27. Panzer Division. I don't know about his rank at that time since Feldgrau.com mentions 'Oberst' and the Third Reich Factbook mentions 'Generalmajor'.
Anyway, the true meaning of my post is to know how this man died. Apparently he died accidently in 1944. Is there someone who can tell me more about him?

All further info would be greatly appreciated,
Laurens
Dr. Sandy Mitcham

Michalik

Post by Dr. Sandy Mitcham »

After leaving the 27th Panzer Div. in late 1942, Helmut Michalik
was assigned to the staff of Army Group North. (He had been promoted
to colonel on Aug. 1, 1941.) He remained here until the summer
of 1944, when he was earmarked for the command of another
panzer division and was transferred to Army Group South Ukraine
on June 3, 1944. He was killed in an accident on four days later,
before he was given his new division. As I recalled, there were four panzer divisions with this army group at that time, and I have never known which he was earmarked to command.

Michalik was posthumously promoted to Generalmajor shortly after his death, with a retroactive date of rank of June 1, 1944; that is why confusion exists about his rank.

I hope that helps.
Laurens
Supporter

Post by Laurens »

Hello Sandy,

Thank you very much for the supplementary info. It seemed (and still is) an interesting topic.
Another forum member told me that Helmut Michalik was about to command one of these Panzer-Divisions of Heeresgruppe Südukraine:
  • 3. Panzer-Division
    13. Panzer-Division
    14. Panzer-Division
    23. or 24. Panzer-Division
My knowledge about these divisions is rather limited, perhaps a specialized person might confirm the correct unit he was going to command, beginning in early June 1944.

Best Regards,
Laurens