Freikorps wear WWI uniforms

German auxiliary organizations 1919-1945.
Helmut Von Moltke

Freikorps wear WWI uniforms

Post by Helmut Von Moltke »

hi, could anyone help me with the question of what the Freikorps, rightwing paramilitary in Weimar republic in 1919 wear? I saw some pics, they wore WWI Imperial army uniforms, but was this general for all Freikorps troops? thanks for any help! :D

helmut
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi HvM.,

Without having any hard information to hand, I would suggest that that is a reasonable working assumption. With millions of men demobilised there was presumably a massive over availability of ex-Army uniform pieces for the much smaller numbers in the various Freikorps. The nature of distinctions worn on those ex-army uniforms is probably another matter.

Cheers,

Sid.
Helmut Von Moltke

sid guttridge wrote:Hi HvM.,

Without having any hard information to hand, I would suggest that that is a reasonable working assumption. With millions of men demobilised there was presumably a massive over availability of ex-Army uniform pieces for the much smaller numbers in the various Freikorps. The nature of distinctions worn on those ex-army uniforms is probably another matter.

Cheers,

Sid.

helmut
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi TC,

Imperial hussar officer full dress uniforms ressembled those of the Napoleonic period right up to WWI. Have you seen the photos of Field Marshal von Mackensen taken as late as the early 1930s?

Cheers,

Sid.
Helmut Von Moltke

Photos of Mackensen in the 1930s? Wouldn't have looked Napoleonic in the parade pics, looks more like a musem mix, Imperial Hussars with Wehrmacht Landsers! :D

This pic of AH with the Napoloenic age looks.... hilarious! :shock:

phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Every pic ive seen of Friekorps has them dressed like the Black and Tans in Ireland during the War of Independence - army trousers and boots and a civilian overcoat, or army jacket over civilian clothes. many pics have them in greatcoats. A suprising and improbable number seem to have taken steel helmets home with them from the front.....

I wouldn't be suprised - given the nature of the organisation - that it was more a case of a lot of phonecalls and a line of men at the rear gates of the local Reichswehr barrack, grab what they needed and it came back again later. Same with weapons. The ARMY couldnt play a role in domestic politics - officially - but their tacit support of not active of the Freikorps gave the Army greater influence than their numbers and castrated nature.

phylo