Axis History Forum problems?

Related website information, updates, questions, links, etc.
Christian Ankerstjerne
Supporter

Post by Christian Ankerstjerne »

This was posted on AHF. Re-posted here with permisson.
craigob wrote:I had AOL users with phpBB before, the problem is that AOL uses rolling IP's so the forum will log you in and issue a cookie but 1-2 pages in the IP changes and the cookie expires..., heres a a post from my own forums that I did to help the AOL people.

----------------------------------------------------
1. There is a known "issue" with AOL & PHPBB (this board) (php is the "scripting" language that supports a variety of database management systems, this forum and many others included )

2. phpBB x.xx uses "sessions" to keep track of users as they browse the forum. These sessions use a combination of aunique session id and the users IP to identify each user. Unfortunately this only works when the users IP is constant as they browse the board. For most users this will be the case. However, certain providers route their users via a cluster of proxys. In some cases, particularly AOL this results in different IPs being forwarded as the user moves between pages.

So basically what is happening is this: When you are using AOL to browse the forum, it (AOL) is constantly changing your IP address every time you click to a different page. It is some sort of code they have written into their system, and it doesn't work well with the forum code. It explains why you get the error messages and also why you can't stay logged in.

So, this is what you would need to do to get around the issues you are having:

Sign onto the internet using AOL, but then switch to Internet Explorer or Firefox (whichever you have) to come onto the forum.
is:
Log on to the Internet via AOL first, then shrink or minimize the AOL browser, and launch Microsoft's Internet Explorer web browser. AOL uses it own basterdized version of Internet Explorer for Web surfing and should be avoided, so you should be all set.

Failing that.. go here

http://webmaster.info.aol.com/cookieguide.html

the issue is totally AOL's problem.. they are possibly the worse ISP in the known world..

------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope that helps
David W
Patron

Post by David W »

The poxy site won't let me in! :down:

It says I have exceeded the permissable number of log in attempts. Which is ferkin rich, since I only tried once!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why it can't remember my details is beyond me.

I think I'll leave it for a month, then see if it has been sorted out. It's not like there's no where else to go is it?
Thanks. Dave.
The Wanderer

Post by The Wanderer »

well i cant get on the site and my isp is not AOL
so whats wrong or has someone hacked the site?
Annelie
Patron

Post by Annelie »

I am not having any problems now.

:D

Patience :wink: helps
Annelie

Post by John P. Moore »

I have been on AHF today and everything appears fine. I don't know what the big fuss was about. Every Web site is going to experience troubles from time to time and they always seem to recover. Life goes on.

John
Jason Pipes
Patron

Post by Jason Pipes »

Glad everything is back to normal. Topic closed out.
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Re-opening this thread for the information of Feldgrau members who are also AHF users that may be experiencing difficulties this AM.

It would appear that AHF is experiencing problems this AM. Although the fourm and indexes are visiable, on entering a thread I am prompted
Table './forum_axishistory_com_-_forum3rd_phpbb3/phpbb_posts' is marked as crashed and last (automatic?) repair failed [144]
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Annelie
Patron

Post by Annelie »

It would appear that AHF is experiencing problems this AM. Although the fourm and indexes are visiable, on entering a thread
Thank goodness its just not myself, I thought I was having
computer problems. Not that I am not :D but I thought they
were progressing.
Annelie

Post by phylo_roadking »

They are, this is something new - but the SQL error screen is just the same template with different error information populating it.
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
David W
Patron

Post by David W »

I still can't get in. The forum accuses me of multiple log in attempts, when I try once!

SILLY SOFTWARE! :down:
Thanks. Dave.
tigre
Patron

AHF problems.

Post by tigre »

Hello to all guys; the hi-tech has beaten us again eh??. Regards. Raúl M 8)
Serás lo que debas ser o no serás nada. General José de San Martín.
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

AHF does indeed seem to be back...
Paddy Keating

Post by Paddy Keating »

Seems to work fine via proxy IP addresses. OK, so you have to keep logging in but at least you get in.

PK
phylo_roadking
Patron

Re: Axis History Forum problems?

Post by phylo_roadking »

Are there problems with AHF again?
Andy H
Associate

Re: Axis History Forum problems?

Post by Andy H »

Hi Phylo

The premises where the server is located has had a fire. I have no info on the extent of the fire.

All the AHF Info etc is safe but obviously the premises need some attention.

Regards
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.

And so as I patrol in the valley of the shadow of the tricolour I must fear evil, For I am but mortal and mortals can only die