Julius Streicher - Der Stumer - Ostara

German auxiliary organizations 1919-1945.
blurrededge
Supporter

Julius Streicher - Der Stumer - Ostara

Post by blurrededge »

Hello,

I was recently reading some stuff on Julius Steicher and his activety with 'Der Stumer' magazine. In the artickle it mentioned his involvement with another magazine called 'Ostara', does anyone know about this magazine and where I might find more information about it?.

Many thanks in advance.
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

Post by Doktor Krollspell »

Hello Blurrededge!

The Ostara was an anti-semitic and "occult" magazine which promulgated Pan-germanic ideas. It was published in Austria in the years before the first world war by Jörg Lanz von Liebensfel, a pan-germanic occultist. One of the very few serious studies on this subject is the highly recommended "The Occult Roots of Nazism, Secret Aryan Cults and Their Influence on Nazi Ideology" by Nicholas Goodrick-Clarke (New York University Press, 1992, 293 pages). If you're interested in these matters, this book is a must buy. Here's a review on the book:

http://www.ewtn.com/library/NEWAGE/NAZIOCCU.TXT

Regards,

Krollspell
"Wie es eigentlich gewesen ist"
Leopold von Ranke (1795-1886)
blurrededge
Supporter

Thanks and another question

Post by blurrededge »

Hello Doctor

Many thanks for your lighting reply, I will read the full text tomorrow.
Your byline "wie es eigentlich gewesen ist" - Leopold von Ranke.
What does it translate to and who was von Ranke?

Many thanks again.

Dave Pils. :D
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

Hello Dave!

Leopold von Ranke was the most important/famous german 19th century historian. He is labelled to be the first "modern" german historian and brought forward the empirical method of historical research and he used a critical and analytical approach on how to read historical sources. Professor von Ranke's (Berlin) ideas was the start of a new methodical discussion in the academical field of history... puh, that was the very short version!
Ranke's famous words "wie es eigentlich gewesen ist" translates roughly to "as it really happened". To tell history without any attachments like emotions, ideologies, religion, subjective opinions as a filter... He also said that "I'm a historian first, then a christian" wich was rather bold then.

As a note, Leopold von Ranke was the maternal Great-Uncle to the famous english writer Robert Graves of "I, Claudius" fame. Recommended is Robert Graves' memoirs from his upbringing and experience as an english officer in the trenches of the first world war, "Good-bye to it all" (1929). Interesting reading that is often re-printed.

Regards,

Krollspell
Alex Dekker
Associate

Post by Alex Dekker »

the first "modern" german historian
I would say, leave 'German' (as I was told during my study History). But indeed, Ranke stands as a rock. Thanks Doktor K.!
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

Since we were talking about one of the first, and greatest of modern historians... Here's Leopold von Ranke in about 1880:

Source: http://www.umobile.edu/main/notes/smith/syllabus.htm

Regards,

Krollspell
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

Getting back on topic, here's Jörg Lanz von Liebenfels photograph (real name was Adolf Josef Lanz):

http://www.pganuszko.freeuk.com/dissert ... nalism.htm

Regards,

Krollspell