Please help K-men/SS Info needed Ref Grandfather

German Kriegsmarine 1935-1945.
Paul Drake

Please help K-men/SS Info needed Ref Grandfather

Post by Paul Drake »

Hello

My grandfather’s service record reads as follows below. Could you tell me anything else of what he might have been doing? Or what he was in the War?

Leutnant Helmut Boehmer being a 'Rottenführer' of the
> Molch-Flottilla 413, founded July 1944

He was captured in Nijmegem on the 20th September 1944 during the Operation Market Garden. I am confused as a Rottenführer is a rank of the SS so I believe. The Molch-Flottilla 413 is a one man Torpedo unit so I believe?? If you could help I would be very grateful

Regards

Paul Drake
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

Post by Doktor Krollspell »

Hello Paul!

According to the book "Das Kommando der Kleinkampfverbände der Kriegsmarine" by Helmut Blocksdorf (2003), your Grandfather Leutnant Helmut Böhmer was a "Gruppenführer" in the K-Flottille 413 under the command of Oberleutnant Lothar Vieth. This doesn't mean that he, besides being a Kriegsmarine Leutnant, also was a Generalleutnant in the SS... The term "Rottenführer" probably means (in your Grandfathers case) that he was the leading officers of a pair of Molch boats. Among the Jagdflieger of the Luftwaffe, the smallest tactical unit was the Rotte, meaning two fighters, one the Rottenführer and the other his wingman. So there's is most probably no connection whatsoever of your Grandfather with the SS.

The very little that is written, in the above mentioned book, about K-Flottille 413 just mentions that this unit did not experience much. After basic training by the Lehrkommando 400 in Surendorf, it was stationed in Holland. It's unsure if the ever deployed against the Allies, or if they belonged to the Molch reserve depot in Amersfort that was hit hard british Jabos on February 3, 1945. The K-Flottille 413, or what potentially was left of it, was then transported back to Germany and was dissolved at Surendorf.

About Leutnant Helmut Böhmer (are you sure he was only 17,5 years old as you hint in another post?) being captured on September 20, 1944 at Nijmegen, he probably had shore duty or something similar? Do you have any pictures of your Grandfather from the war? It would be interesting to see them...

One final word, you don't have to (or shouldn't have) posted the same questions several times at different places in this Forum. It just gets confusing... Here under "Kriegsmarine", "Veterans" or "Personalities would do just fine :wink:

Good luck with your research on your Grandfather,

Krollspell
"Wie es eigentlich gewesen ist"
Leopold von Ranke (1795-1886)