HJ ski award maybe?? does anyone know??

German uniforms, clothing, and awards 1919-1945.

Moderator: John W. Howard

tracern1

HJ ski award maybe?? does anyone know??

Post by tracern1 »

I have found this pin that has a set of skies with a edelwiess flower in the center of the skies. On the flower is the HJ symbol (centered on the flower which is centered on the skies). The skies are then riveted and soldered to a circle (skies centered in the circle). On the top of the circle is "HJ" on the left is "ski", on the right of the circle is "furher'.There is a horizontal pin going across the back. I know this is a ski award of some type given to a child in the Hitler youth organization.It is a unusally big award approx 3 1/2" in dia But where and when was it given, and what would the exact name of the award be? Any help would be great.
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

Post by Doktor Krollspell »

Hello Thracern1!

This decoration of yours is the "HJ Skiführerabzeichen" - the Hitler Youth Expert Skier Badge. This badge is more of a qualification badge given to HJ Ski instructors after they passed some tests.

Source: "For Führer and Fatherland - Political and Civil Awards of the Third Reich" by John R. Angolia (1989 2nd ed.).

Regards,

Krollspell
"Wie es eigentlich gewesen ist"
Leopold von Ranke (1795-1886)
tracern1

thank you

Post by tracern1 »

Thank you very much for the info. I also found on a differnt forum that they made this badge in a more fancy version with green enamal and dated and all . The badge I have doesn't have all this, it just has a large silver ring with the "HJ" on top and "SKI" on the left and "Furher" on the right of the circle. The only thing that has enamal on it is the diamond centered on the flower that is centered on the skies. The diamond has red on bothe ends white in the middle and a swastika in the center. One of the tips of the flower has broken off. What would the value of this medal be? I wouldn't sell it due to it being given to me as a gift, but would like to know so I would know how to display this award in a exihibit of some sort (either out in the open or more secured)

Thank you again for the information and have a merry christmas
tracern1

thanks for info

Post by tracern1 »

Thank you for the info on displaying. We have a military museum here, I have donated some items and set up a exhibit there. I was needing to know the value of the piece in order to know if it would need to be placed in a more secure setting. Some of the items are out more in the open in order to let people get a more up close look at them. These items are secured to the area where they are being exhibited. (even out in a more open seting there are still dishonest people to worry about) These items in the, are secure but not as secure as the more expensive items are. If I can have a estimated value of the HJ ski award, then I will have a better idea on how to display it.