Japanese Komet Klone

German Luftwaffe 1935-1945.
Rolf Steiner
Associate

Japanese Komet Klone

Post by Rolf Steiner »

sorry, clone... anyway, this was news to me, rather interesting I thought...

http://www.studenten.net/customasp/axl/ ... ple_id=628
"And I will show you where the Iron Crosses grow!"
Lorenz
Patron

Post by Lorenz »

I'm sure many will find it of interest, so thank you for provided the link. The Japanese "Komet" has been very well covered in the various aviation and modeling books and magazines since the late 'fifties, so old timers like me are quite familiar with it.
DeBaer
Contributor

Post by DeBaer »

indeed, the story of this plane is quite interesting, although its not only known to "oldtimers", but also youngsters (me :D ). the japanese also had a plane quite similar to the Me262, the Nakajima Kikka, which is also to be found on this website (http://www.studenten.net/customasp/axl/ ... 629&page=0) . It had engines based on the BMW003.
Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Sven
-
terras licet et undas obstruat at caelum certe patet
Rolf Steiner
Associate

Post by Rolf Steiner »

Thanks guys - don't know why i've never encountered this before - you'd have thought those old 70s war comics would have had a field day with such contraptions, but I have no recollection of old Union Jack Jackson or Sergeant Fury coming up against some sneaky japs with their kraut-crate-ripoffs!

I've probably given away more about my academic grounding (lack of) here than is really wise!!!
Rolf Steiner
Associate

Post by Rolf Steiner »

the cultural epithets, by the way, are approximations of traditional brit comic-book speak - I don't tend to refer to Germans as 'krauts' in everyday speak, in case anyone's wondering!
Simon_G
Supporter

Re: Japanese Komet Klone

Post by Simon_G »

Only one Japanese Komet "Shisui" ever flew and it crashed on it's maiden flight because the pressure overflow pipe was wrongly configured and the engine cut out in a steep climb. I believe it spun in. Therefore it didn't serve much fertile ground for comic stories.

The Japanese had two me 262 look alikes, but the smaller naval Kika was the only one which flew before the war ended. It had less powerful Campini jet engines.