WWI German Canteen/Swedish Markings?

German uniforms, clothing, and awards 1919-1945.

Moderator: John W. Howard

Brig
Contributor

WWI German Canteen/Swedish Markings?

Post by Brig »

I have obtained a unique canteen thinking it was WWI German due to the markings and gray cover. It is basically the typical aluminum tear-shaped canteen that the Germans use, having been polished (you can tell by small dents). It has a grey felt cover like the Swedish ones, but unlike both the Swede and german models, it does not snap shut along the side. Instead, a piece of grey felt pulls around the neck and snaps onto itself. The canteen has the loop like the Swedish, but on the leather, stamped, is the Imperial Crown (I believe, due to the looping dome portions, similar to the crown on the 1914 EK). Also, it is marked 'I11K'. Any ideas? I bought it to resell thinking it was German, and if it's Swedish then I got screwed. Either way, I'd like to know about it. Thanks
Hans N
Supporter

Post by Hans N »

Hi Brig!

I´m sorry to say that it sounds to me that you have been screwed!
By the description it seems to be a swedish one.
A pic would help to be more precise!

regards
Hans N
Lustmolch
Supporter

Re: WWI German Canteen/Swedish Markings?

Post by Lustmolch »

Brig wrote:I have obtained a unique canteen thinking it was WWI German due to the markings and gray cover. It is basically the typical aluminum tear-shaped canteen that the Germans use, having been polished (you can tell by small dents). It has a grey felt cover like the Swedish ones, but unlike both the Swede and german models, it does not snap shut along the side. Instead, a piece of grey felt pulls around the neck and snaps onto itself. The canteen has the loop like the Swedish, but on the leather, stamped, is the Imperial Crown (I believe, due to the looping dome portions, similar to the crown on the 1914 EK). Also, it is marked 'I11K'. Any ideas? I bought it to resell thinking it was German, and if it's Swedish then I got screwed. Either way, I'd like to know about it. Thanks
Sorry, but it sounds like a Swedish waterbottle - the crown is very similar to the WW1 German Imperial one. Don't worry too much, I once bought an East German w/b in mistake for a wartime one, but as it was intended for re enactment use, I didn't mind too much.
Brig
Contributor

Post by Brig »

wow, I haven't seen this thread in months :shock: