Tunic question.

German uniforms, clothing, and awards 1919-1945.

Moderator: John W. Howard

panzergrenadier

Tunic question.

Post by panzergrenadier »

I had a question that I hope those here at Feldgrau can help me with. While researching for the potential creation of a late war german reenacting group (Heer) I developed some questions that as of yet I have no answer for.

Firstly, I have found two different dates for the issue of the M-44 tunic. One states it went into general distribution in May of 1944, the other states it was September/August 1944. Which is the correct date? I have also read that it was tested for the previous six months with frontline divisions. Is this true? And lastly, who was issued the M-44 and starting when?

Secondly, while reading up I found that certain infantry and panzergrenadier units were issued the grey wrap tunic usually worn by assault gun crews. I have seen a picture of a panzergrenadier on foot, carrying an MP-40 and a panzerfaust, wearing the grey wrap tunic. The caption read that the soldier was part of the Panzer Lehr Division. My question here is which infantry/grenadier units were issued the grey wrap tunic? Was such attire common on infantry/grenadier units during the latter years of the war?

Any information that anyone has would be most appreciated.
Paul Hanson
Contributor

M-1944 Field Uniform and P.G. Sturmartillerie uniforms

Post by Paul Hanson »

The M-1944 uniform was first issued for field evaluation as early as Summer, 1943, and finally ordered by HM 44, Nr. 603 dated September, 1944. Uniforms and Traditions of the German Army 1933-1945/Angolia and Schlicht

The Sturmartillerie uniform was ordered to be issued on a limited basis to units of Panzergrenadier-HM 43, Nr. 269. Officially, this uniform was to worn by soldiers assigned to the Panzergrenadier-Bataillone(gep) which was the unit mounted on SPW. As usual, the bounds between who was allowed and not allowed to wear it were pushed by units. And in Panzergrenadier-Lehr-Regimenter 901 and 902 everyone who could get one wore it. Field Uniforms of German Army Panzer Forces in World War 2/Pruett and Edwards

HTH

PH