Jewish officer that were awarded Iron Cross

Foreign volunteers, collaboration and Axis Allies 1939-1945.

Moderator: George Lepre

Max Boost
Supporter

Jewish officer that were awarded Iron Cross

Post by Max Boost »

Finnish Army had Finnish Jews who fought just like other Finnish men. One thing that might be pretty unknown is that two of them were awarded Iron Cross by the Germans. Major Leo Skurnik was a doctor in Finnish JR53 (Jalkaväki Rykmentti=Infantry Regiment), in Kiestinki's pocket August 1941. The whole medical care of the regiment was his responsability. In Kiestinki also fought 6.SS-Nord, and Skurnik had part of their wellfare too. Skurnik organized the evaquation of Kapustnajajoki (River Kapustnaja), where some 600 wounded soldiers were brought back through the enemy line. Finnish Colonel Wolf Halsti said " Major Skurnik did not only take care of the wounded, he also went himself to the frontline and brought them back under enemy's fire. Whether it was a Finn or German, he brought them safe"
Captain Salomon Klass earned a reputation as a good commander and a hard soldier allready in Winter War. He fought in JR64 in Raatteentie, and later in Maksimansaari. In Continious War he was in JR24, which was next to German 136. Division. After the hard battles in Uhtua, German Colonel Pilgrim came to see Captain Klass to thank him for the job well done. Suddenly Pilgrim asked about Klass'es accent, if he was from Baltia. Captain Klass said that since his motherlanguage as a jew is jiddish, that might be heard through his german. After an annoing silence Colonel Pilgrim stood up, shook Klass'es hand and said;"I personally have nothing against you as a jew. Thank you Captain" As he turned away, he rose his hand and said "Heil Hitler" and left the tent.
Both of these Finnish officers were awarded Iron Crosses, and both of them refused to accept them.

Sources: Rautkallio Hannu "Suomen Juutalaisten Aseveljeys"
Rautkallio Hannu "Ne kahdeksan ja Suomen omatunto"
Max
Csaba Becze

Post by Csaba Becze »

I know one Hungarian officer also, who had Jewish roots and got the EK II.
Max Boost
Supporter

Post by Max Boost »

Csaba Becze wrote:I know one Hungarian officer also, who had Jewish roots and got the EK II.
Hi CB,
do you know if the Germans knew about his Jewish roots when they awarded him?

Max
The StandartenFuhrer

Post by The StandartenFuhrer »

They propably did and although it clashed with their ideological opinions they Jewish officers had showed outstanding bravery and the Fins etc valued them, so best not kick up a @#% storm by sending some Finnish War heroes to Aushwitz.
Arne
Contributor

Post by Arne »

It is virtualy impossible to say how many of the members of the foreign Divisions of the Waffen-SS where jewish. There where no background checks at all for this units (especialy for western european volunteers). Like for the french foreign legion. Himmler had problems enough to raise the western european Legions to divisonal strength.
For a young and able jewish volunteer, units like Walonien or Charlemagne where a perfect cover.
When Charlemagne was formed from french personel of Heer, Luftwaffe, RAD, NSKK, etc. only one guy had to stay with NSKK - a colored driver from Martinique...
The StandartenFuhrer

Post by The StandartenFuhrer »

Do you think Jews deliberatly joint such organisations and military bsttalions etc to avoid detection?
Arne
Contributor

Post by Arne »

What better hideout will you find? Nobody is asking you where are you from, you don't have to show any papers other than the most basic personal documents (which where much easier to forge back then).
Brian67
Banned

Post by Brian67 »

I think I remember a discussion here about German Jews in Wehrmacht (and SS?). If you are interessted, you shoul be able to find the discussion.
http://www.panzergrenadierregiment63.de.vu
http://www.3ss.totenkopf.de.vu

Die Dummheit des Menschen und das Universum sind unendlich; wobei ich mir beim Universum nicht ganz sicher bin! (Albert Einstein)