SS units in Norway

German SS and Waffen-SS 1923-1945.
ak74u
Supporter

SS units in Norway

Post by ak74u »

where there any SS units stationed in Norway, except for the norweigan volounters ?
nande Sakura chan
Björn
Supporter

Post by Björn »

Yes, but not Waffen SS. The Norwegian volunteers from W SS were not either stationed here. What would you be looking for?

B.
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Well, there were the SS-Infanterie Regimenten stationed there just before the war started. However, when the war started, they were in Finland. I believe the detachment at Kirkenes may have been there a little longer as a security measure, but that unit was disbanded as well.
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
Björn
Supporter

Post by Björn »

Hello!
Correct, and not so correct in another manner, as the regiments you are refering to, were from so-called "Totenkopf-Standarten". Those were light infantry, poorly military trained, and poorly equipped. Later, as we know, these rgts became the cores of the 6th SS´s infantry elements. That was not in Norway, and they were not stationed here either.

If "ak74u" would specify the question; it would be easier to answer. Of course there were Waffen SS soldiers in Norway, but not in combat formations.

B.
B Hellqvist
Contributor

Post by B Hellqvist »

The 6th SS-Gebirgsjäger Division "Nord" passed through Norway en route from Finland to Denmark late in 1944. OK, they weren't posted to Norway, but at least they were there for a short while.
ak74u
Supporter

Post by ak74u »

Was'nt there a SS regiment at Rjukan for protection of the heavywater plant. I belive they where sent there after the sabotage attack
nande Sakura chan
Björn
Supporter

Post by Björn »

Hello!
Yes, the 6th SS did pass through Norway, but I got the impression that the question was on Waffen SS units stationed in Norway, not those who passed.
At Rjukan there were, apart from the German forces, men from "Hirdens Bedriftsvern" (HBV), and they are not regarded as SS.

Bjørn!
agricola

Post by agricola »

What funny is that the 23rd SS Pz-Gren. Regiment 'Norge', of which my Opa was a rifleman, was meant to be a unit of Norwegen volenteers, but it was set up in Croatia and consisted of mostly Yugoslavians, such as my grandfather.

Frank.
Björn
Supporter

Post by Björn »

Hello!

"What funny is that the 23rd SS Pz-Gren. Regiment 'Norge', of which my Opa was a rifleman, was meant to be a unit of Norwegen volenteers, but it was set up in Croatia and consisted of mostly Yugoslavians, such as my grandfather."

Well, there were quite a lot of Norwegians in "Norge", even if many preferred to serve in "Schijägerbtl Norge" instead.

It is not correct that the unit consisted of mostly Yugoslavians, as about 50% were Germans, and - apart for the Norwegians - most of the rest were "Volksdeutsche" (often referred to as Banat-Germans or "Siebenburger".

B
agricola

Post by agricola »

Sorry, I didn't mean mostly, I meant there were a lot... In ratio to the Norwegians, anyway (for a supposedly 'Norwegian' unit).

I believe the bulk of the Norwegian volenteers in the war were in the Skijager battalion. Can anyone verify this?

Cheers.

Frank.
Jason Long
Contributor

Post by Jason Long »

Totenkopf-Standarten 6, 7 and 9 were all stationed in Norway after the conquest of that country until sent to Finland.

Jason
KlemenL
Supporter

Post by KlemenL »

"What funny is that the 23rd SS Pz-Gren. Regiment 'Norge', of which my Opa was a rifleman, was meant to be a unit of Norwegen volenteers, but it was set up in Croatia and consisted of mostly Yugoslavians, such as my grandfather."
Agricola, where (was) is your grandfather from? Was he a Croatian Volksdeutsche or Banater German? I didn't know that many of them have ended in the 23rd SS Pz-Gren. Regiment 'Norge'.
Totenkopf-Standarten 6, 7 and 9 were all stationed in Norway after the conquest of that country until sent to Finland.
Jason, can you tell me more about these Totenkopf-Standarten? I am looking for some info about which German units conducted the occupation of Northern Norway from June 1940 to June 1941. What I mean here, to be more precise, are the names of the first German units which have entered and occupied the northern parts of Norway (Harstad, Kirkenes, Tromsø, Vardø, Tana bro, Karasjok, Lakselv, Hammerfest, Alta etc.) after Norway had surrendered itself in 1940?
US PGA Commentator - "One of the reasons Arnie (Arnold Palmer) is playing so well is that, before each tee shot, his wife takes out his balls and kisses them .... Oh my god!!!!! What have I just said?!!!"
Jason Long
Contributor

Post by Jason Long »

KlemenL,
Right now I can only confirm that 9. SS-Inf-Rgt. was sent to Kirkenes/Vardö as SS-Totenkopf-Standarte K in 1940 and later expanded into a full regiment. According to my map of German units in Norway for 12 Dec 40 SS-TK-Standarten 6 and 7 were deployed in the far south of Norway in Drammen and Sandefjord at that time.

It must have been elements of 2. and 3. Gebirgs Divisionen that occupied northern Norway/Finnmark after the Allies abandoned Narvik.

Jason
Björn
Supporter

Post by Björn »

Hello!

"I believe the bulk of the Norwegian volenteers in the war were in the Skijager battalion. Can anyone verify this?"

Well, there were Norwegians in very many units, but often serving as individuals. If you are referring to almost "norwegian" units, the Norwegian Legion with 1900 men (totally) probably was the largest. Then the Skibatallion, Wiking etc.

B
KlemenL
Supporter

Post by KlemenL »

Right now I can only confirm that 9. SS-Inf-Rgt. was sent to Kirkenes/Vardö as SS-Totenkopf-Standarte K in 1940 and later expanded into a full regiment.
Thank you for this info, Jason. However what I wanted to know here is when did these SS-Standarte arrived in Northern Norway? or let me re-phrase my question differently: Which German units arrived in Northern Norway after Norway's surrender and which units were this? I know that harstad was occupied by a force from the 3rd Gebirgs-Division, but what about other towns in extreme north like Hammerfest, Kirkenes, Alta, Lakselv and especially Karasjok? When did Germans take over these places?

Also why weren't Spitsberge Islands immediately occupied by the Germans? The Island of Jan Mayen - if I am not mistaken - housed a small German weather station, which was then soon destroyed by the British..
It must have been elements of 2. and 3. Gebirgs Divisionen that occupied northern Norway/Finnmark after the Allies abandoned Narvik.
Well, certainly not by the 3rd Gebirgs-Division. I think they moved to the Northern Norway (Kirkenes-Neiden area) just spring 1941, only several months before the operation "Barbarossa".

Thanks again for your reply.
US PGA Commentator - "One of the reasons Arnie (Arnold Palmer) is playing so well is that, before each tee shot, his wife takes out his balls and kisses them .... Oh my god!!!!! What have I just said?!!!"