Units in Finland, early 1945

German unit histories, lineages, OoBs, ToEs, commanders, fieldpost numbers, organization, etc.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

medic

Units in Finland, early 1945

Post by medic »

I am trying to find information on which German units were in Finland in early (January / February) of 1945, in the region of Kandalaksha.

The reason I am looking for this information is that I have recently come across a photo album and several photos of a person by the name of Alois Wolff, who appears to have been an officer in the Wehrmacht at the time. The back of one of the images reads, "my beloved Alois, died on 11 [illegible] 1945, at Kandalaksha, near Murmansk."

Any help would be greatly appreciated. You can reach me via email at [email protected]. Thank you.
Juha

Post by Juha »

No German units there in early 45. Germans were pushed to Northern Norway before that. So the death must have happened in some of the PoW camps in Kola/Kandalaksha area.

Juha
medic

Post by medic »

Thanks so much for your reply. This is very helpful to know. Do you know exactly which camps were located in that area by any chance?
Juha

Post by Juha »

Sorry, I only know that there were several in that area, some were among the oldest Gulag camps established in 1920s.
FactsO'plenty

Post by FactsO'plenty »

Actually, some German units remained on Finnish terriory until mid-April, 1945 in the northwest panhandle along the Swedish border south of Banak...
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Uh-oh! He's arguing German units in Finland with Juha! This could be fun! :wink:
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
DasReichX
Supporter

Post by DasReichX »

Could you scan the images and post them here? Maybe someone could identify what is going on in the image. :?
DasReich.X
Mark
Juha

Post by Juha »

You are right, FactsO'plenty. But they were some 500 km WNW of Kandalaksha which was the area in question. If we are precise Kandalaksha (Kantalahti) is not and never has been part of Finland.