Great Escape 60th anniversary

The Allies 1939-1945, and those fighting against Germany.

Moderator: John W. Howard

Pirx
Associate

Great Escape 60th anniversary

Post by Pirx »

Night 23/24th march 1944, from Stalag Luft III in Sagan (today Zagan in south west Poland) escaped 80 pilots. 3 of them (Dutch Bram van der Stock, and 2 Norwegians Per Bergsland and Jens Muller) were succesful, 77 were captured, 50 of them were executed.
This was largest escepe of ally soldiers from any camp in Germany ever. In 1968 was made movie with Steve McQuin and Charles Bronson about this story. Do you know any story about escapes from POW's camps?
Doug Batson

Great Escape

Post by Doug Batson »

Hi,

Thank you for mentioning that. You beat me to it. I have always been fascinated by that story. According to the book it was the night of the 24th/25th of March...if I am not mistaken. As for other escapes, from what I've read only one German managed to escape from England back to Germany, and he had to go round by Canada (where he jumped off a train) and the then still neutral USA. A total of more than 35,000 British, Commonwealth, and American fighting men managed escapes or evasions the other way.
awaygood
Supporter

The One That Got Away

Post by awaygood »

The story of the German who escaped from Canada into the then-neutral USA, is told in the book, 'The One That Got Away', and in the movie of the same name, starring Hardy Kruger. Both are long out-of-print, but might be available somewhere via the internet!
Adrian Waygood
Pirx
Associate

Post by Pirx »

This was night 23/24 march for sure. March 24 this year in Zagan was a ceremony with former prisoners of Stalag Luft III. When i mention about movie, i shall say that it was very realistic. In 1944 in Sagan am Schlesien (today Zagan) area was much more POW's camp: Stalag Luft II and Luft III, administrated by Luftwaffe for ally pilots, also Stalag VIII c (for 300 000 Russians). Execution 50 pilots was evidence during Nurenberg trial.
Doug Batson

Interesting

Post by Doug Batson »

Hi Pirx,

That's interesting. In the book "The Great Escape" it mentions the following:

(talking about the morning of the escape)

"The twenty fourth dawned fair, and by appell the sun was well over the pine trees, unchallenged in a clear sky. The surface of the snow was glistening, and it was quite mild.

They met at eleven thirty in Roger's room. It was one of the shortest meetings on record, certainly the tensest. There were only a few words spoken. After the last man came in there was a dragging silence. People were looking up at the ceiling or sitting with their arms folded on the bunk, staring at the floor. Roger looked at Langford.

"How do you feel about it?"

"I won't guarantee the trap for another month. I can't .... not with that wobble."

"Crump?"

"I think I can speak for all the tunnel men," Crump said, "Including those who are hardarsing. I don't think we could take it if we lost everything now. Morale would go for a burton."

"Right. Tonight's the night." Roger jumped energetically to his feet. "Get cracking"

So, according to the book, it was the night of the 24th...
Pirx
Associate

Post by Pirx »

Ok. It could be 24th. However i hope we both agree that it was naight 23/24 or 24/25 was not so important, like whole X-organization, martyrology, and crime on captured pilots. This was fascinating but sad story.
Best Wishes
Doug Batson

I agree with you 110%

Post by Doug Batson »

Thanks
christoph

Stalag Luft III

Post by christoph »

:( As a child , I had seen Hollywoods version of the Great Escape many times. Went to the library the other day and there sitting on the shelf was the book. I am thinking yea , yea, yea, seen it done it and know about it. I opened the first page, mind you nothing else was written on it but the dedication ......

"Dedicated to the Fifty"

It causes a person to pause and think, what cost freedom
Ironrat
Supporter

Post by Ironrat »

PIRX, you are mistaken. Stalag Luft II was not located in the are you are talking about. Ok, it was in Poland, but in a different part of the country.
Pirx
Associate

Post by Pirx »

You're right. I knew that in this area were 3 POW's camp.
LUFT III
Stalag VIIIc
Stalag VIIIe (wrong named Luft II by me :? )
more info:
http://www.muzeum.eline2.serwery.pl/
Benoit Douville
Contributor

Post by Benoit Douville »

Pirx,

It is worth mentionning the great escape of Stalag Luft III, the film "the Great Escape" is a classic.

Awaygood,

I also saw the film "The one that got away" and it's another absolute classic, worth watching.

Regards