German Snipers

A place to post photographs and to ask about photographic research.

Moderator: sniper1shot

solietjake
Supporter

Post by solietjake »

awesome man thanks
Simon Orchard
Supporter

Post by Simon Orchard »

It can also be found on bit torrent, along with some other goodies 8)
philip turland

german snipers

Post by philip turland »

I have just purchased a luftwaffe single decal helmet. It is in tan camo which is very worn and in my mind genuine.

inside the bill there is what appears to be a tally marks, 5 or 6 of them in the same tan paint. (helmet is at home and i don't remember how many).

could this helmet have belonged to a sniper, was this a way of recording kills

maybe it belonged a luftwaffe ground division member and it was just his way of recording hits.

philip
Speak Softly But carry a BIG stick
Simon Orchard
Supporter

Re: german snipers

Post by Simon Orchard »

philip turland wrote:I have just purchased a luftwaffe single decal helmet. It is in tan camo which is very worn and in my mind genuine.

inside the bill there is what appears to be a tally marks, 5 or 6 of them in the same tan paint. (helmet is at home and i don't remember how many).

could this helmet have belonged to a sniper, was this a way of recording kills

maybe it belonged a luftwaffe ground division member and it was just his way of recording hits.

philip
That's quite a stretch of the imagination Philip. Could have belonged to a flak gunner and was his way if identifying his helmet for example.
ReinhardH
Supporter

Post by ReinhardH »

Here are some sniper photos from the separate photo volume accompanying Paul Carell's "Unternehmen Barbarossa":

...from both sides...

...and the caption translated...

The dangerous Jäger
Sharpshooters were courageous and tricky warriors who worked alone. At times they lay fifty meters in front of their own lines in hiding places they moved into at night, and from which they closely watched enemy positions with their rifle scopes. Every careless move by the enemy was ended with a deadly shot. In this manner they were able to bring fear and uncertainty to their foe. The German sniper (above) managed 125 kills in fourteen days. Sharpshooter Pawlutschenko, a Ukranian woman, was decorated for her kills during the defense of Sewastopol.
Hans Knospler
Supporter

Post by Hans Knospler »

Richard Schoutissen wrote:Image

The first photo is clearly propoganda. Why would a sniper be sniping with his safty on??
Sincerely,
-Brendan Hunt
Schultz
Contributor

Post by Schultz »

well because until you fire there is no reason to have it off its only a flick of the thumb to shoot, as your keen eye noticed it was on then you noticed it was also fully cocked and loaded (if the tits poking out, you got the eye).

or he could be doing anything the guy that took the picture maybe knows.
maybe propaganda but don't look like it to me, shootin bottles maybe.
Gary B

the safety is on...

Post by Gary B »

" The safety is on" GREAT CATCH! attention to detail is vital. But lets look at the whole picture. Do snipers do anything other than snipe? I mean with their rifle and scope and talent for careful observation?

Perhaps he is OBSERVING. he is clearly in a weak sniper stance: leaning against the fence as he is would only magnify minor motion of the scope for an accurate long shot. and the rifle is resting on the post clearly not braced by his left arm, the post thus becomes a pivot point for easily moving the rifle horitontally without losing a distant perhaps moving object. As an observer the slight vibration of breathing and heartbeat is not a critical issue as your focus is the entire view rather than just the cross hairs. And the plank fence is hardly a concealed or protected position.

The other soldier, and the "sniper" clearly are not worrying about counter sniper fire. The other guy is watching the "sniper" and not even looking down target - he appears to me to be waiting or listening to what the sniper has to say about what he is observing.

Gosh, what could he be observing? Is he observing or perhaps directing indirect fire on a distant target? ("One click left and fire for effect!") Is he observing enemy movement? Friendly movement? Friendly semaphores at great distance in absence of wire or wireless phones, wildlife,( he could enjoy wildlife, or more strategically, the movement of wildlife in the mid day could suggest they are fleeing from some percieved threat...) or there could be women!!!!!, (or little boys...), or even the approach of the meal cart?

I've more than once sat in a stand long after any reasonable hope of a target has gone and just watched (over an empty rifle) and through my scope in fascination as the day, nature, -and other shooters- emerge from concealment.
The world is remarkably different through bent light...
GEB
Gary B.
Maigewitter
Supporter

Post by Maigewitter »

from axishistoryfourm.com
"That photo is in The German Sniper 1914-1945 by Senich and Sniper Variations of the German K98k Rifle by Law. Probably a posed propaganda photo; Law indicates that the rifle is a WWI-era Gewehr 98 sniper and points out that both have their safeties on. The photo is dated 9/15/41."
When the British fired, the Germans ducked.
When the Germans fired, the British ducked.
When the Americans fired everybody ducked....
Franz-Karner

Post by Franz-Karner »

Hi all.

@ Warager

This is Bruno Sutkus,
19KUBAN43
Supporter

Post by 19KUBAN43 »

Here are two photos from my collection, the first is a pres photo, and the second is a snapshot removed from a private photo album:

Waffen-SS sniper team on the eastern front:

[img][img]http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/aef5f83a74.jpg[/img][/img]

Sniper pauses to read the mail. Note the captured Soviet SVT-40 with scope in the backround:

[img][img]http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/772f276899.jpg[/img][/img]
A man who takes a stand is sometimes wrong. A man who never takes a stand is always wrong.
tomy-londoner

Post by tomy-londoner »

Group of Snipers

Beershark
Supporter

No prisoners taken alive !

Post by Beershark »

I share the infantryman's distaste for snipers, and would have given one very short shrift if he fell into my hands. I do have , though, a photo of an S.S. sniper just taken prisoner by a Guard's unit somewhere in Holland. From his battered and bloodied condition, they, like I would have done, have knocked him about a bit, since his being S.S. is sufficient to justify a bullet through the back of the head, let alone the bugger being a sniper !!
If I can find it, I'll send it. Incidentally, for all his being S.S. ( his camouflage clothing confirms that ), he is a right little short arse and only stands at about five foot nothing - so much for the Master Race elite, huh !
One of our W.R.A.C.'s could have beaten the @#% out of him !
Maigewitter
Supporter

Post by Maigewitter »

When the British fired, the Germans ducked.
When the Germans fired, the British ducked.
When the Americans fired everybody ducked....
BergführerKiser
Supporter

Post by BergführerKiser »

Simon Orchard wrote:If ever there was a book which ought to be translated into English then 'Im auge des Jägers' is the one. I can stumble through German but not well enough to be able to sit back and enjoy a whole book.

Servus Simon,

'Im auge des Jägers' is available in English:

http://www.amazon.com/Sniper-Eastern-Fr ... 009&sr=8-1

It is a very insightful read...no holes barred....painful and disturbing...a few passages even caused me to have nightmares!

Horrido!
Mit einem Kameradschaftlichen Horrido!

Patrick

Always looking for Gebirgsjäger & Muli (pack-mule) items.