Criminality and the German Army

General WWII era German military discussion that doesn't fit someplace more specific.
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi Stefan,

I agree entirely.

In the absence of much serious and accessible information about what the German armed forces did in Eastern Europe, Anglo-Americans tend to have a somewhat rose-tinted view of wider German military activities based on their own exceptional experience of the German armed forces on their best behaviour.

The fact that very few war crimes were committed by Germans against the Anglo-Americans, and none that I can think of by the Heer at all, allows today's Anglo-Saxon Waffen-SS groupies to believe that the Waffen-SS "were soldiers like any other soldiers" and people with wider interests to believe that the German Army had an almost entirely honourable record. Neither is true.

Cheers,

Sid.
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi Jake,

Sorry. I should have addressed that more widely to "Hi Guys".

Yup. The failing is ours. Unfortunately, this failing results in a distorted view of history and Joe Public and the Man on the Clapham Omnibus are not necessarily well supplied with the wider picture.

Cheers,

Sid.
Rosselsprung
Enthusiast

Eastern Front

Post by Rosselsprung »

Though there were many terrible war crimes on the Eastern Front, I doubt that it was so widespread through the entire Heer that almost every individual platoon or company devotes some time every day to commiting them. Besides, in my opinion, the average landser at the front had more concern with staying alive rather than perpetuating ethnic cleansing. The organizations which would be guilty beyond doubt of these crimes would be the Einsatzgruppen and Allgemeine SS. The Wehrmacht got its hands dirty. But so did almost every other military. The Red Army's behavior in Hungary, Romania would be previews of its behavior in Germany, and the murder and rape of civillians on a large scale cannot be classed as anything but a war crime. The Western Allies would be least guilty of this, as I doubt US or British troops did anything close to what happened on the Eastern front.
Hans
Associate

Post by Hans »

Rosselsprung,

Perhaps we can somewhat equate the fighting between the USA and Japan in the Pacific to the war in the East between Germany and Russia?

"Fought to the last man" as stated of the Japanese on isolated islands, seems to be an impossibility. Killed to the last man, perhaps. Still, a surrender offered is not a surrender accepted.

Just a thought.

- Hans
Was haben wir für dich gewollt
Du deutsches Vaterland?
- H Gehr IR 21./17.ID
PaulJ
Contributor

Post by PaulJ »

What are you trying to say Hans?
Paul Johnston
Per Ardua ad Astra
http://tactical-airpower.tripod.com
AlanH

Post by AlanH »

Perhaps another related question that might be addressed is when, and to what scale did attrocities happen in the east?

I'm willing to bet that no matter how bad (or good) things were in that respect at the start of the campaign, they got worse as time went on.

That is hardly a unique aspect of the eastern front in WWII. It happens with every war. ALWAYS. So while the Heer may have been relatively "clean" in 1941, they most assuredly weren't by 1944. Entropy Increases! The same certainly holds true of the Russians, the Japanese, the Chineese, the British, and the Americans. The longer it goes on, the worse the scale of the attrocities that happen. Now just because "everyone else did it too", I'm not trying to excuse the Germans, by any means. I just want to point out, that to expect a standard of behavior that wasn't universally followed, is misguided and naive. I do believe that had direct contact between the Western Allies and the Germans continued, that basically unsullied reputation would be a bit more tarnished than it is.

But so what? Personally, being an admirer of the Wehrmacht, I accept the above and understand that even though the Germans weren't always "Knights in shining armor", to expect perfect behavior in the situation in which they found themselves is unrealistic and hypocritical, and detracts from all that they did accomplish.

Anyway, maybe both sides of the debate in regards to the culpability of the average Landser are right? :wink:

Just my opinion,
Alan
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi AlanH,

I know from my own personal experience in Rhodesia that my standards became eroded over time and by the end I was sometimes doing things that I would not have countenanced a year or two earlier.

I also do not feel that the German soldier was any less disciplined than the Anglo-Saxon soldier. Indeed, coming from a more disciplined civil society, I rather suspect that the German soldier may have been more disciplined than his Anglo-Saxon equivalent. (This seems to have been a widely held opinion amongst the French).

However, the regimes were very different. The German leadership already had SS units killing Poles in rear areas in September 1939. Read the biography in English of General Blaskowitz, whose troops had occupied Prague and Warsaw for Hitler. He officially complained about SS activities in Poland and found his caraeer derailed as a result. The Waffen-SS also had its disciplinary procedures taken out of Army hands as a consequence and thereafter was held less accountable than the army.

From September 1939 the activities of the German leadership show a steady escalation in mass murder of civilians in German custody, in which the Wehrmacht was regularly implicated, even if not the prime perpetrator. As a result some of its members committed officially sanctioned crimes on a scale that did not occur in the Anglo-American forces. For example, the massacre of thousands of Italian prisoners by the German Army on Corfu in late 1943 has no equivalent in scale in the Anglo-American forces.

I would point out that direct contact between the Anglo-Americans and the Germans DID continue, yet there were no mass murders of German civilians in Anglo-American custody. Occupation by the Anglo-Americans was a much lighter experience than occupation by the Germans.

The difference lies at the top level and in the general ethos of the regimes, not at the bottom level, where I suspect the raw human material in the Anglo-American and German armies was not very different.

Cheers,

Sid.
AlanH

Post by AlanH »

Hello Sid,

Thank you for the response. Rhodesia must have been something. When I was in the Army in the very early eighties, there was a mortorman in my company who had spent time in Rhodesia. He had some truly bloody stories, along with some pictures which I'm guessing would possibly have ended him up in prison. He was a good troop, nonetheless... Actually wasn't there an instance in which the Seleous (sp?) Scouts basically destroyed a terrorist regiment with a platoon of troops? I might have the details wrong, but do remember something of an overwhelming victory, of that kind of scale.

Sorry for the digression. I'm quite interested in that struggle and for what I feel it portends for the future in South Africa. But I'm off topic, so let me jump back on.

Your last two paragraphs, in the previous message:
I would point out that direct contact between the Anglo-Americans and the Germans DID continue, yet there were no mass murders of German civilians in Anglo-American custody. Occupation by the Anglo-Americans was a much lighter experience than occupation by the Germans.

The difference lies at the top level and in the general ethos of the regimes, not at the bottom level, where I suspect the raw human material in the Anglo-American and German armies was not very different.
I would submit that while you are right in that contact between the Germans and the Western Allies did continue, the actual time in which that occupation occured while the fighting was going was was relatively short. Had that not been the case, who can say what might have happened?

In any event, undoubtedly occupation by the British and the Americans was a far easier lot than those who lived under the Soviets, and to a lesser degree, the French - or those who had been occupied by the Germans themselves.

None of which changes my original contention that the longer front line contact occurs, the worse the behavior of those troops becomes. Oh, and I do agree with you in regards to the attitude of the leadership playing a role here. I just don't think that it comes much in to play, either way, with soldiers whose immediate concern is staying alive.

Regards,
Alan
Jake
Contributor

Post by Jake »

Hello Rosselsprung, Sid and AlanH

Thank you all for your posts. Sid, thanks for the time you've taken with this thread. I think your input helped elicit a few more interesting responses than it might've done otherwise, especially given my rambling original post. AlanH, thanks for coming out and calling yourself an 'admirer' of the Wehrmacht. No one else on this thread has actually done that, which I've found interesting in itself.

As to my original question, I don't think there is an answer. AlanH is probably right when he says maybe both sides in the debate are right. Maybe it comes down to whether or not you happen to have an interest in military history. If you don't, then I can see how the astronomical civillian deaths on the Eastern Front, let alone the treatment of POWs, could outweigh completely any possible sense of admiration for the military achievements of the time. If you do happen to have that interest, then the experience of the individual soldier facing and dealing with extreme stresses is always going to be a thing in itself, with all its heroism and squalor, seperate from the virtue or vice of the government giving the orders.

Even if the German Army became imbued with institutionalised criminality, I think the blame has to lie with the regime that insisted on it. The German government put the German soldier in a desperate situation. That he performed as well as he did is admirable and to his eternal credit. That he was far from admirable at the same time ultimately wasn't of his own choosing or making, and is to the eternal shame of the Nazis. Maybe I admire the soldiers more than the army, wherever that difference exists. So I don't really know what to say, and I don't want to sound moralistic. I do admire the Wehrmacht for its military achievements, but I would understand it if someone didn't.

Thanks for your time guys

Regards
Jake
John W. Howard

Book to Read

Post by John W. Howard »

Hello Gents:
Some of you might be interested in the following book by Gerald F. Linderman: THE WORLD WITHIN WAR: AMERICA"S COMBAT EXPERIENCE IN WWII ISBN: 0-684-82797-2 I will eventually write a review of it, but I thought some of you might enjoy its contents. Although mostly about US soldiers, there is much in it about the nature of the warfare between the US and German forces, and US and Japanese.
One of the things the author mentions in his book is the wonderful reputation the Japanese had in regard to POW's during the Russo-Japanese war; POW's were extrordinarily well-treated. This was taken into account when US and Brit forces surrendered to them in the early days of the war; the Allies expected to receive decent treatment, which they did not get.
This book covers reasons for killing prisoners by both sides of the Allied-German war, and I know there is some truth to them, because they have been corroborated by my father, when I am able to get him to talk. I think most of you will find the book interesting and scholarly, full of first-hand accounts. Best wishes.
John W. Howard
Jake
Contributor

Post by Jake »

Hi John

Thanks for the book mention. I'll look out for your review!

Regards
Jake
John W. Howard

Jake

Post by John W. Howard »

Hello Jake:
There are quotes from Brits and Germans in the book, so it is not only about the US Military. It reads a little slowly at first, but the sections on combat between US-German and US-Japanese forces is very good. The author is a professor at the University of Michigan, here in the States, and has published two previous books on The US Civil War, and the Spanish-American War. He concentrates on the motivation for men to fight, training, how they adjusted to combat, the nature of combat, etc. He is quite good. Hopefully I will get to a review soon, although I was side-tracked by a volume which came in on Inter-Library Loan!! Best wishes.
John W. Howard
Torquez

Post by Torquez »

So while the Heer may have been relatively "clean" in 1941
They already patricipated in large scale atrocites against civilian population in Poland during September Campaign.
AlanH

Post by AlanH »

Torquez wrote:
So while the Heer may have been relatively "clean" in 1941
They already patricipated in large scale atrocites against civilian population in Poland during September Campaign.

Can you provide a source for that?

While I'm certainly aware of collateral damage during the campaign, I'm not recalling "large scale atrocities". Not saying there weren't any, just that I'm not familiar with them.

Regards,
Alan
Torquez

Post by Torquez »

Can you provide a source for that?

While I'm certainly aware of collateral damage during the campaign, I'm not recalling "large scale atrocities". Not saying there weren't any, just that I'm not familiar with them.

Regards,
Alan
They are several sources :

http://www.projectinposterum.org/docs/survivors.html
The cooperation between the SS and the Wehrmacht in killing Polish civilians continued not only during the September Campaign but also in the months that followed. Wehrmacht firing squads shot no less than 16,000 Poles by the time the war ended early in October 1939. By December 1939, the Germans had killed approximately 50,000 Polish citizens, of whom 7,000 were Jewish.

The first large-scale atrocity on Polish soil, which set a precedent for innumerable slaughters that followed, took place in a forest near Piasnica Wielka in Pomerania in the period October-December 1939. The Gestapo and German field gendarmerie shot 12,000-14,000 people, including Poles, Jews, psychiatric patients, and Germans un-sympathetic with the Nazis. Many of the Piasnica victims were part of' the Nazi euthanasia program, even before Hitler gave his official mercy-killing order. Approximately 12,000 Poles were victims of this program, which included the elderly, invalids, those with incurable diseases, and hundreds of children, who were given lethal injections because they were invalids or suffered from terminal disease."

Also
http://www.geocities.com/opocznohistoria/zbniem1.htm
1. September 8th, Odrzywoly: Polish medical column with red crossed etc is shooted at by German soldiers from 13 panzewr division from XIV corps. During actions in the same locality German units are using civilians as living shields.

2. German soldiers from the same division killed 11 civilians in Drzewica in 8 and 9 september, probably as revenge for the resistance given by Polish military units in area.

http://wilk.wpk.p.lodz.pl/~whatfor/zbro ... ia_wrz.htm

3. September 2-3rd between Wadzim and Rybnik few Polish soldiers captured by Wehrmacht were ordered to lie down on ground and then tanks drove over them

4. September the 4th Bugaj, gm. Dmenin, pow. Radomsko two polish pilots were captuted by German units from 4 panzer division from XVI corps. One of prisoners was tortured and then murdered.

5. September the 4th in Opatowiec, pow. Pińczów, German soldiers shot 45 Polish PoWs. Crime done by 2nd light division from XV corps of 10 army.

6. September the 5th In village Toporzysko-Bystra Germans captured single Polish soldier, who was then ordered to run and was shot during "trying to escape". Crime done by 2. panzer division of XVIII corps of 14 army.

7. September the 5th in forestnearn Buchardztw, pow Kartuzy,
German soldiers from 207 infantry division from 5 army shot Polish PoW from BON, known by name: Brunon Formela from Kartuzy.

8. September the 5th, Serock, po Swiecie: in night Germans suddenly started to shoot to Polish PoWs which were placed there for night.

9. September the 6th, in Zreczyce, pow Myslecie, Germans shot few civilians and 4 Polish PoWs

10. September the 6th, in Moryca, Germans shot 19 captured Polish officers from 76pp, and burned alive other taken PoWs from that unit.

11. September the 6th Czermno, gm Czermno, pow Kosnkie, Germans shot one PoW. Crime done by soldiers of 4. DP VIII Korpusu 10. army.

12. September the 7th or 8th Cukrowka, 13 soldiers were shot, of which however one survived and after German unit left was taken care by local population.

13. September the 8th, Mszczonow, pow. Blonie: 2 Polish PoWs shot by German soldiers.
14. September the 8th, Mszczonow, pow Blonie: Germans publicly shot 11 prisoners, 8 in uniforms and 3 in civilian clothes. Crime done by 4. DPanc. XVI Korpusu 10. Armii.

14. September the 8th, Nadarzym pow Blone, 2 German soldiers
took unknown Polish mayor to the field and ordered him to dig a grave for himslef. During diggin mayor suddenly attacked with his spade soldiers, killed one of hime because was shot by another.

15. September the 9th, Skaryszew, pow Radom, German soldiers killed 2 soldiers which were trying to give up, with their hands raisen to the up.

16. September the 9th, Ludwikowka, gm Bartoszowka, pow Blonie,
Soldiers from German 4. DPanc. XVI Korpusu 10. Armii shot another 2 Polish soldiers trying to give up.

17. September the 9th Ciepielow, German soldiers shot few civilians, including 10 y/o girl.

18. September the 10th, Piaseczno near Warsaw, German soldiers shot 21 PoWs - total PoWs were 30, but from unknown reasons some were spared.

19 September the 10th, Bielsk : commander of PoWs camp asked who from the prisoners volunteered to Polish army. Three PoWs who answered the question were shot in place.

20. September the 12th, Kozlowice, gm. Wiskitki, pow Blone, Germans shot 5 PoWs. Crime done by 2. Light division of XV corps of 10 army.

21. September the 12th, Sczucin, pow Dabrowa Tarnowska. PoWs were enamssed in building of the school Unidentified Polish officers grasp the pistol of German officer, shot him and then commited suicide. Germans took revenge on other PoWs, murdering all of them

22. September 13/14 In Zamborow Horses from wagons appeared amongst the prisoners. PoWs panicked. Germans started shoting at random for at least 10 minutes (few Germans soldiers were shot as well).
200 Polish PoWs were murdered, many of them may died from wounds during night, since no wounded Polish PoW received any help before the morning

23. September the 18th, Sladow, gm Tulowice, pow. Sochaczew, Germans shot and then drown in Vistula about 300 people, including about 150 PoWs. Crime done probably by 4. DPanc. XVI Korpusu 10. Armii.

24. September 20 San near Przemysl 100 Polish PoW were burned alive.
Only three were able to escape, one of them died from wound on second day in hospital in Drohobycz.

25. September the 20th, Majdan near Tomaszow Lubelski, German soldiers massacred 20 Polish PoWs.

26. September the 8th Ciepielow: Polish unit defending the area was defeated after attack by German tanks and when being out of ammo. Germans took the uniforms out of Polish Pows, From 450 taken PoWs 250 were shot in place, the rest was ordered to run. In total about 300 PoWs were murdered,

List of victims of SS, Wehrmacht etc during September campaign in Bedzin: (by name)
http://www.katowice.uw.gov.pl/opracowan ... olegli.htm[/qupte]
This was translated by a member of Axis forum.
Antoni Czubinski "Wielkopolska in years 1918-1939" (Wielkopolska w latach 1918-1939)" Poznan 2000 isbn 83-7177-099-5
page 200

Spemteber the 1st, 14:00 German units entered Wyszanow shooting to civilians, supposedly in revenge for disarming of German army here in 1918. To the underground of Wyszanow manor, where women with children tried to seek shelter, were thrown grenades. 14 children and 8 women died. Surviving mens were taken later to camp near Nurnberg. Village was burned down.

In Torzeniec (4 km from Wyszanow), which was took September 1st at evening, from unknown reason Wehrmacht soldiers started the shooting, and then started to "pacificate" village by burning the buildings. 8 persons were shot when they tried to leave burning homes, 18 men were shot next day. In total 34 civlians and 3 unknown Polish soldiers were shot.

In Bukownica gmina Grabow September 2nd 7 inhabitants were shot. In borderland region of Wieruszow in September 2dn 41, and in September the 3rd 17 person were murdered. [..] In September the 4th in Maczniki 19 person were murdered [..]
Also from IPN:
http://www.ipn.gov.pl/a_130804_wehrmacht.html
The exhibition will be also presented in Germany.
Professor Leon Kieres said in opening ceremony that the aim of this is to make Germans aware of atrocites commited by Wehrmacht in Poland since 1939. It's aim is to challenge the German myth that crimes were commited only by members of SS while ordinery soldiers weren't involved in war crimes and genocide. Also it portreys the attempts of german courst to upheld that myth by refusing to cooparate in finding out and convicing Wehrmacht soldiers who took part in warcrimes.
The exhibiton shows crimes commited by German soldiers during the period of 1st of September till 25th of November during which Poland was under the jurisdiction of Wehrmacht and makes it responsible for this crimes.
The myth of Wehrmacht innocence was recently destroyed by exhibitions in Hamburg, but unfortunetly it created another myth-that those crimes started in 1941. The aim of this exhibition is to correct that.
That is a rough translation of parts of the text.

http://www.infowarszawa.pl/index.php?ak ... az&nn=3018
On fourth day of war in forest near Orzeszyn soldiers of Wehrmacht executed 21 polish POWs taken prisoner.Ib Brwin 13 September guandarms murdered 11 people and two days later in Długa Szlachecka near under Warsaw Halinow Wehrmach killed 42 people.At the end of the month on the marketplace in Karczew Germans executed 75
people.Almost half of them were women and children
This a fragment of the exhibition documenting Wehrmacht crimes in 1939 during the September campaign in Poland
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Tannenberg
Operation Tannenberg was codename for one of extermination actions directed at Polish intelligentsia during World War II. Nazis prepared lists, so called Sonderfahndungsbuch Polen, which listed more than 60,000 Polish activists, intelligentsia, actors, former officers, etc.

First, in August 1939 about 2,000 activists of Polish minority organisations in Germany were arrested and murdered. The second part of the action started September 1, 1939 and ended in October resulting in at least 20,000 murdered in 760 mass executions by special units, so-called Einsatzgruppen, in addition to regular Wehrmacht units and SS.
http://www.deathcamps.org/occupation/pr ... hetto.html
First mass executions of Jews took place between 16 and 19 September 1939, at several places in the city outskirts: Lipowica, Pralkowce, Pikulice, at Przekopana, near the Wiar river and near the Jewish cemetery at Slowackiego Street. According to some estimates as many as 600 Jews were killed at that time. Half of them were refugees from western Poland. Not all execution sites are known and only 102 victims were identified.
Units involved in these killings (the so-called "Aktion Tannenberg") were Einsatzkommando I/1 and I/3. Units of the 1st Mountain Division and groups of the HJ (Hitlerjugend) also took an active part in round-ups for forced labour and execution

http://wilk.wpk.p.lodz.pl/~whatfor/zbro ... ia_wrz.htm

"On 3 September in village Bugaj district Dmenin Radomsko Germans shoot down a polish airplane, taking 2prisoners(the crew). One of the prisoners was tortured -his tongue, nose and ears were cut off and was murdered.The atrocity was conducted by soldiers from 4 Pancer Division of XVI Corpse of 10 Army gen von Reichenaun."
"September -Mszczonow Błonie, German shoot publicly on pig trading market 11 POWs -8uniformed, 3 in civilan clothing.Atrocity commited by 4 Pancer Division"

And so on and on...
Hopefully the fact about Wehrmachts atrocious behaviour in September Campaign will be more known in the future.

Also Luftwaffe engaged in bombing civilian-refugee columns and towns without military importene and presence -Wielun, Frampol are examples.