Strange stories of Luftwaffe

German Luftwaffe 1935-1945.
jerijerod
Supporter

Re: Strange stories of Luftwaffe

Post by jerijerod »

Yeah I'd heard that one too. Not sure if its the Luftwaffe's fault or the QMG!!! :D

Not so much a strange story but a good quote from Rommel: "The problem with these paratroopers is they constantly want to jump out of planes."
Apparently said during the desert campaign.
"War ist die Royal Air force???"

"Evacuate? In our moment of triumph? I think you over estimate their chances!"
panzermahn
Associate

Post by panzermahn »

jerijerod wrote:Yeah I'd heard that one too. Not sure if its the Luftwaffe's fault or the QMG!!! :D
I wonder if the Luftwaffe crewmen in the transports who para-dropped this containers knew what is inside of them.

Anyway, here is another one

Two Arado Ar 196 seaplanes and a Heinkel He 111 actually forced the surrender of British submarine, HMS Seal in 1940. HMS Seal remains the only British submarine ever captured by the Germans

Panzermahn
jerijerod
Supporter

Post by jerijerod »

On top of that the Captain celebrated his birthday in the back of the lead Arado as it launched to take him into captivity.
If i remember correctly the seal had been damaged by depthcharges and straffing by the Arado's. Faced with the luftwaffe shadowing his crippled vessel and with a report Eboats were incoming the captain decided to save his crew rather than attempt escape.

I can't remember the date or the unit but a Ju 88 on an interdiction mission over England late in the war spotted a light. Believing it to be an airfield, an RAF plane or worthy target he dived upon it shooting... and flew straight into a tree that lined the road the car (Target) was travelling down.
"War ist die Royal Air force???"

"Evacuate? In our moment of triumph? I think you over estimate their chances!"