What are the most common second languages spoken by Germans?

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

Tom Houlihan
Patron

Languages

Post by Tom Houlihan »

I would have to agree with at least trying to learn a little about the language before you get there. All I had was what I remembered of high school french. Of course, that didn't do me much good in Turkey or Egypt! Luckily, every place I went, I could find someone who spoke at least basic English/American (two different dialects, if not separate languages!!). When I tried to express myself in the local language, most people seemed to appreciate the effort. Except the French. They were kinda snooty about it, and that thought has absolutely nothing to do with current events!! :wink:
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
Baltasar
Enthusiast

Post by Baltasar »

That's right. The frensh are the only people I know who excpect you to talk their language perfectly. Didn't meet much frensh in Paris who tried to talk english or even german with me...
Wenn man nichts zu sagen hat, einfach mal die Fresse halten.
David Gregory

Other languages

Post by David Gregory »

Hi,

Besides English as the first foreign language taught in schools, kids that go to the (private) Waldorf schools also learn Russian.

There are also schools in some towns for various nationalities mainly attended by children of the given families (usually former guest workers). In the area where I live there are Greek and Spanish schools where all subjects are taught in German and the relevant languages, for example.

With the melting pot that Germany seems to have become in recent years, it is not at all unusual to hear Polish, Russian, Turkish, Portuguese or Spanish spoken in many shops and restaurants. Some of my neighbours are from Brazil, Estonia, Poland, Turkey, Greece and Hungary, for example.

Some relatives visiting us from the UK try to practice their German when they are here. Much of the time they end up speaking English, as many people working in shops and restaurants speak or understand enough to meet basic needs.

David Gregory
Dortmund, Germany
The excitement is in tents (pun intended) - visit http://www.zeltbahn.net and see.
German ID documents and related biographies at http://www.zeltbahn.net/wehrpass/