Who wants a laugh today?

Questions, comments, suggestions, or problems.
Lorenz
Patron

Post by Lorenz »

Annelie wrote:Ask your dentist "how long the life expectency of an root canal"
and crown?
You might be surprised. Teeth are very important and I would
suggest that one should do everything possible to keep your
teeth and mouth in good order. I think money should not equate
when it concerns your health.
Nowadays teeth implant are becoming more common especially
with those whom have had their root canal become infected
again.
Quite true, Annelie, but there are certainly other considerations, too. Dentists are not always honest brokers in that they engage in promoting treatments and procedures that the patient does not always need. Most are profit-seeking businessmen before they are dentists. For example, they nearly all try to sell you an expensive periodontal regimen that other dentists who are non-commercial practitioners will tell you is unnecessary. They also try and burden the customer-patient with exams, cleanings and x-rays that are too frequent and/or too extensive. I even had one dentist during the past year tell me that his $1,200 cosmetic teeth-brightening procedure was actually therapeutic for my teeth! Not so! In today's greed-driven world, one needs to keep both eyes open and evaluate all treatment recommendations very carefully, especially if you are paying for it yourself.

--Lorenz
Annelie
Patron

Post by Annelie »

I agree with most of what you said but its very important to keep
your mouth and gums in their best shape. The dentist or his/her
hygienist will take note of your gums. They are an indication
of pending problems. They now know that gingervitis can "lead/
or show syptoms" of other health concerns from heart to arthritis
etc.

Yes, I agree that teeth-brightening is at most times cosmetic but
a very good result can be obtained from even "Crest White Strips"
if one so needs teeth whitening.

Yes, for many "money" is a consideration but I still believe if at
all able one should do what they can to keep their teeth and to
take regular care of them.

In the end we are all consumers and its our responsiblity to research
any procedure or products which we buy or receive as in services as
much as reasonably able. Some people will easily spend thousands on a repair of a car
which is replaceable yet their own body they all of a sudden
will have second thoughts about spending money.
Annelie

Post by chambers »

I Hear that the girls go for the rugged look...any truth to this?
True when it comes to the 5 oclock shadow or a little grit after a hard day's work, but uhhh... I'm not attracted to bad teeth. I like a nice maintained grill.

I hafta agree w/Annelie on this one over a period of years tooth decay can cause other health problems. Your teeth are one of the first things people see. Unfortuneatly lots of people are scared to go or just don't want to fork over the money. Truth is though, if you go regular twice a year and have your teeth professionally cleaned and checked it's only about $80 each time and you're less likely to need any major work later on.

I have a crown (broke a tooth in an accident) and my dentist told me it should last 20 years or so.

Brooke
sniper1shot

Post by sniper1shot »

Infected Root Canal- :shock: God Damn it.....now why did you tell me that? Like I need that in the back of my mind forever.

Cleaning and good Dental maintanence are definately needed, however I also believe that the Dentists play on this which is why things cost so much......the need for greed.

Thanks to the Gov't I have free dental for my career. :D
Only he is lost who gives himself up as lost.
Lorenz
Patron

Post by Lorenz »

I hafta agree w/Annelie on this one over a period of years tooth decay can cause other health problems.
That was predictable, Brooke. You ladies always stick together. :wink: But you shouldn't misinterpret what I said earlier. I completely agree that we must take good care of our teeth, and I have done so all of my life and that's a long time. Aside from one missing tooth (upper right), two wisdom tooth extractions, four root canals with four crowns, and a dozen cavity fillings over 68 years, my teeth are straight, clean, reasonably white and all mine. BUT, as I also said and as the originator of this thread agrees, one just needs to be careful when evaluating some of the things the dentists throw at us. Not all of their recommendations are always necessary. You suggested two cleanings a year, which is just right for younger folks with healthy teeth, but for those of us with a slight to moderate periodontal problem that needs to be controlled, 3 or possibly 4 times a year is better.

--Lorenz
chambers
Contributor

Post by chambers »

Yes, Lorenz it is always wise to be on the look out for people that take advantage of a situation in any form of service whether it's at the dentist, doctor's office, or the auto service shop. It isn't right, but people aren't always honest.

A second opinion is often well worth the money and time. Also, ask around, people will be quick to tell you about any negative experiences they or people they know have had.

Brooke
sniper1shot

Post by sniper1shot »

Well, this past Friday I went in for the Permanent filling.....Student Dentist had me sign a waiver to say I agreed to let a student do it.......Dentist was there looking on so I really wasn't worried.

So he finishes off and doesn't the damn filling fall off the tooth. :?
So now I have this hollowed out tooth with a post sticking in it....off to
X-Ray, drool slobber etc etc all over the damn place (Remember frozen)
Not impressed. They repack it with a ton of that molten filling garbage.
I ask about the Crown I was supposed to come in for and the Real Dentist goes.."Ah, Um, well there isn't really enough of a tooth for the crown to attach to", So I reply, "There was last week".
I believe the studen ground off a bit more than he should of.

Oh Ya, I was in the damn chair for THREE HOURS this time....this root canal has taken me 9 hours total.
1 last visit for them to polish up the tooth and ground a bit of the excess.
Only he is lost who gives himself up as lost.
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

At 43 years of age with absolutely NO care and very little attention, I can honestly say all my teeth are still mine.....

I just don't know where some of them are now......
Last edited by phylo_roadking on Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Lorenz
Patron

Post by Lorenz »

phylo_roadking wrote:At 43 years of age with absolutely NO car and very little attention, I can honestly say all my teeth are still mine.....
I just don't know where some of them are now......
Maybe they rode off into the sunset on Binky.........

How the H can you live in Australia without a car? Is public transportation that good in Australia? Ours is so bad that a car is an absolute necessity.
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Australia????

Belfast, Northern Ireland....and that seems to have disappeared off my profile......?

You know, THAT place...

Ever heard people say " I wish God would take all the bigots and people with guns and put them on an island somewhere and let them just fight it out away from the rest of us?"

He did, its called Ireland :-(

phylo
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Lorenz
Patron

Post by Lorenz »

phylo_roadking wrote:Australia????
Belfast, Northern Ireland....and that seems to have disappeared off my profile......?
You know, THAT place...
Ever heard people say " I wish God would take all the bigots and people with guns and put them on an island somewhere and let them just fight it out away from the rest of us?"
He did, its called Ireland :-(
phylo
Sorry I misplaced you! I tried to check your profile but it wouldn't open. I could swear you said something once that led me to believe you were from Down Under. May it's your screen name, which suggests a connect to the Mel Gibson Mad Max movies, I think. Northern Ireland is a beautiful place from May to September. Sure....you gotta wear a Flak jacket, but you need one in my country, too. Especially in my state where our beloved governor (brother of our president) signed into law two years ago the right to shoot first and ask questions later. This law applies not only to home owners defending their home and property from intruders, but also to people with concealed weapon carry permits who consider their life suddenly threatened, such as in a bar/tavern environment. So you can be in a bar here and mouth off at someone, and if they are carrying they can draw on you. If you have a beer bottle by the neck and raised as if to strike the guy, he can shoot your ass, claim self-defense under this new law, and never see a day of jail time. So where would you rather be? In Northern Ireland or in my state? Needless to say, I don't go to bars anymore. I'm too old to anyway.

--Lorenz