Nicolas Trudgian prints

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

Nate
Supporter

Nicolas Trudgian prints

Post by Nate »

ALCON,

I am sure our British friends of heard of Nicolas Trudgian, probably most of you have, but I just had to comment on how awesome his prints are. They have been described as scenic paintings with aviation themes interwoven into the canvas. Plus, all of his works have autographs of personalities that fought in the various air and ground battles he depicts.

Even though the majority of his work is aviation oriented, I have three prints that deal with German armor scenario's:

Battle of Kursk: shows Hans-Ulrich Rudel's Ju 87's w/37mm cannons attacking Soviet armor with Yak 9's and Fw 190's buzzing in the air and 4th Pz Div Tigers below engaging Soviet T-34's.

Tiger's in Normandy: depicts Tiger's of Sw Pz Abt 102 moving through Maltot towards Hill 112 with Fw 190's of III/Jg 26 overhead providing air cover.

Ardennes offensive: Tiger II' s of the 9th SS Pz Div Hohenstauffen racing across a snow covered field with Fw 190's of the Jg 1 overhead.

I don't have an extensive collection, but these three are enough. Trudgian is really a talent.

Don't see too much discussion in this area, thought it would be interesting to see what you all think of him and list some of your favorites.

Happy Holidays!!

Nate
Verloren ist nur, wer sich selbst aufgibt !!
Jason Pipes
Patron

Post by Jason Pipes »

I purchased a copy of his Battle of Kursk print many years back when it was still available but later had to sell it before my move to the West Coast. I was very impressed by that print and felt it was levels above most modern "war prints" in that it was truely both technical, historical and artistic all in one. Some prints by some print makers are pretty low quality, while others like those from Nicolas Trudgian, are excellent. I wish I had never sold that print!

For those that have never seen this print, here it is. Keep in mind in real-life this thing is rather large and therefore MUCH more impressive when standing in front of it (34 1/2" wide x 23 1/2" high), especially when properly framed and mounted.

Here are examples of many other prints by him as well:

http://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/tru ... allery.htm
Nate
Supporter

Post by Nate »

Jason,

I was really lucky getting Battle of Kursk. Checked out many different sites and finally got it through a seller in Vancouver, B.C. Was about $100 more than the original price, but WELL worth it as anyone can see.

Nate
Al Carter

Post by Al Carter »

I do not have any Trudgian prints, but I do have a few David Pentland prints. I also have one Michael Wooten print "Wedge of Iron" 2SS Tigers at Kursk with six tank comander signatures. The Pentlant prints I have are "Fight for Kowel" 5SS, "Counter Attack at Villiers Bocage" Wittmann, and "No Escape" Gunther Rall. I have reproduction insignia and medals in the prints. I would post pictures of them, but I don't see a way to do that.

Trudgians Battle at Kursk is an awsome print. Pentland has one for battle of kursk, but it dosn't look good.

Jason any way we can post pics of our framed prints?

Thanks

Al Carter
Death solves all problems - no man, no problem. ~Joseph Stalin~
BayernTx

Heinz Krebs

Post by BayernTx »

I would recommend Heinz Krebs. Although not always historically accurate, the prints are excellent. They look even better when properly framed.
Nate
Supporter

Post by Nate »

I have Wooten's "Wedge of Iron" with autographs and also signed portraits of Otto Kumm and Hans Siegel. The autographs from Wedge of Iron do not represent personalities that were actually at the depicted battle. My understanding is that Otto Carius (whose autograph is on the print) was no where near the Battle of Kursk. Doesn't really matter to me though.

I also have one of Pentland's "Operation Zitadelle". Would love to get the Kowell print and also "Barkmann's Corner", and "The Desert Fox". There is definitely alot of good stuff out there, just not enough wall space.

Best,

Nate
Al Carter

Post by Al Carter »

Nate,

Sounds like you have one hell of a collection. Have you seen the one by Paul Farley "Panzers in Berlin". That is the next one on my list.

Where do you purchase your prints from? I get mine from:

http://www.milartgl.com/HTML/index2.html

http://www.cranstonfinearts.com/

The was a guy Ortelli who had a website Ortelli.com that had some great paintings of personalities of the Wehrmacht. I cannot access the site now.

Thanks,

Al Carter
Death solves all problems - no man, no problem. ~Joseph Stalin~
Nate
Supporter

Post by Nate »

Al,

I mine from all over; most from the Military Art Gallery that you show in your post. I had to get Trudgian's Kursk from a seller in British Columbia and Tiger's in Normandy from one in MN.

If I had more money than I knew what to do with I would definitely get the following (all found at The Military Art Gallery site):

"Typhoon Target" by Robert Bailey
"Wittmann's Tiger I in Villers-Bocage" by Barry Spicer
"Rommel at Tobruk " and "Pieper" by Jody Harmon
(Harmon has some awesome work at his website, unfortunately not all are available. I emailed him about the Pieper print and he had one original left over way out of my price range!)
"Tiger Spearhead" by Michael Howard
"The Last German Kings " by Michael Wooten (you can email him about some special edition prints with three more autographs).

These are just a few.

It is definitely something that you can get addicted to. My wife doesn't understand the fanscination.

Best,

Nate