Question abut the puma

German weapons, vehicles and equipment 1919-1945.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Smiget

Question abut the puma

Post by Smiget »

hey,

whenever i read about the sdkfz 234/2 i read that the puma had the turret designed for the leopard tank. what was this tank?

Smiget
jhalcli

Post by jhalcli »

The Leopard (VK1602) was a medium recon tank. The prototypes were incomplete when the project was cancelled in 1942.
Hans N
Supporter

Post by Hans N »

Any pics available on this "odd" tank?
Sebastian Pye
Enthusiast

Post by Sebastian Pye »

Smiget

Post by Smiget »

wow thanks for the info this shure clears up alot

an interesting vehicle don't you think.
do you think it would of prefomed well once all the problems were solved?

thanks
Smiget :D
JASGripen

Post by JASGripen »

Odd information, I always assumed that those turrets were from Pz III H which had been turned into Tank Destroyers or something like it.

Anyone who knows if old turrets were reused in a similar way as chassis were?
Politruk
Supporter

Turrets

Post by Politruk »

Greetings!

The German Armed Forces did use some old turrets, but not from Pz III's (or Pz I, II or IV) as far as I know. That may have to do with the fact that the Pz III turrets were up-gunned, and the old 5 cm KwK L/42 were included in fortifications. Also, turrets from French "Beutepanzer" were included in the Atlantikwall, and Pz V turrets were also used in fortifications, most notably in Italy. As for the Pz I and II turrets as well as the turrets of Pz III's converted to StuG III's, I've read that at least some were used as targets.

All the best,

Politruk
JASGripen

Post by JASGripen »

Thanks for the info, and for the rapid reaction too. The 50 mm guns from Pz III could as well have been used on the Puma (but then again, maybe not), anyone who knows anything about that¨? Were there any reasons not to just smack old Pz III turrets on Armoured Cars?

The ones that were used on the Puma sounds perhaps as a more upgraded alternative as they were meant for a tank that didn't pass prototype. Were the Puma just a way to make use of these turrets that were produced for a model that would not reach serial production?