Feldpost from Russia and translation.

German unit histories, lineages, OoBs, ToEs, commanders, fieldpost numbers, organization, etc.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

PHILDHB
Supporter

Feldpost from Russia and translation.

Post by PHILDHB »

I was recently given an envelope & letter mailed from Russia on Oct 9 1942, the Feldpost is faint but looks like 09200, or 09208. Can anybody help. I can email an image to whoever if it helps. Also could anybody help translate the letter, again image available, thanks, Phil.
Lorenz
Patron

Post by Lorenz »

FpN 09200: schwimmende Flak-Battr. "Arkona".

FpN 09208: Nachschubstab z.b.V. 687.

To translate the letter, all you have to do is type the German words on your computer and then cut and paste into the on-line Babelfish translator.

--Lorenz
Brian67
Banned

Re: Feldpost from Russia and translation.

Post by Brian67 »

PHILDHB wrote:I was recently given an envelope & letter mailed from Russia on Oct 9 1942, the Feldpost is faint but looks like 09200, or 09208. Can anybody help. I can email an image to whoever if it helps. Also could anybody help translate the letter, again image available, thanks, Phil.
If the letter is written in German, you can mail me an image. I will try to help you.
http://www.panzergrenadierregiment63.de.vu
http://www.3ss.totenkopf.de.vu

Die Dummheit des Menschen und das Universum sind unendlich; wobei ich mir beim Universum nicht ganz sicher bin! (Albert Einstein)
Brian67
Banned

Post by Brian67 »

Lorenz wrote:FpN 09200: schwimmende Flak-Battr. "Arkona".

FpN 09208: Nachschubstab z.b.V. 687.

To translate the letter, all you have to do is type the German words on your computer and then cut and paste into the on-line Babelfish translator.

--Lorenz
Hello Lorenz
Are you sure, that the Babelfish-translation is good? I haven't found godd translation-programs so far.
Regards Brian
http://www.panzergrenadierregiment63.de.vu
http://www.3ss.totenkopf.de.vu

Die Dummheit des Menschen und das Universum sind unendlich; wobei ich mir beim Universum nicht ganz sicher bin! (Albert Einstein)
derGespenst
Associate

Post by derGespenst »

I have found Babelfish to be pretty poor.
Lorenz
Patron

Post by Lorenz »

Babelfish

I don't use it myself because I have 3 years of university German (eons ago :wink: ) and lived there for 5 years. But for someone who knows no or next to no German and does not need a precise translation, then Babelfish is more or less sufficient, in my opinion.

--Lorenz
PHILDHB
Supporter

Post by PHILDHB »

Lorenz, thank you so much, I tried a little research, maybe you can help again. Schwimmende Flak batt was flak on a boat or ferry? Nachschubstab z.b.v 687 was a luftwaffe supply or maintenance unit. Thanks, Phil,
PHILDHB
Supporter

Post by PHILDHB »

Brian 67, I have emailed you a scan of the letter, thanks, Phil.
Lorenz
Patron

Post by Lorenz »

PHILDHB -
Schwimmende Flak batt was flak on a boat or ferry?
Yes, but I must confess that it's a real strange one. I don't think I've ever seen anything quite like it before. However, I can say with near certainty that it's Heer and not Luftwaffe. "Arkona" is a promontory 148' above sea level on the north coast of Rügen, an island in the Baltic off the German coast. I wonder if it had something to do with the Peenemünde V-1 and V-2 programs?

Nachschubstab z.b.v 687 was simply a Heer supply staff that was in Antwerpen/Belgium before it went to Russia. In 1944-45 it was in South Poland and then in Silesia under Heeresgruppe A.

--Lorenz
PHILDHB
Supporter

Post by PHILDHB »

Lorenz, here it is.

Lorenz
Patron

Post by Lorenz »

Phil -

Doesn't that look more like 00264 repeat 00264??

What do you think?
PHILDHB
Supporter

Post by PHILDHB »

Lorenz, you could be right, maybe I need new glasses, lets try bigger.

PHILDHB
Supporter

Post by PHILDHB »

Incidentally, what would that make it, Phil.
Lorenz
Patron

Post by Lorenz »

Phil -

FpN 00264 in 1942:
4. kleine Kraftwagenkolonne/Infanteriedivision Kolonne 199.

Presumably, that belonged to 199. Infanteriedivision, which spend the war in the Tromsö and Narvik area in northern Norway. It was never in Russia.

--Lorenz
PHILDHB
Supporter

Post by PHILDHB »

Lorenz. Huh! Must be incorrect, as the contents of the letter with the envelope clearly indicate it came from Russia in the contents. Again, thanks for all your time, Phil.