U-boat in the Clyde

German Kriegsmarine 1935-1945.
alexnic

U-boat in the Clyde

Post by alexnic »

Hi,

Wondering if anyone on this board could shed any light on a strong rumour that a U-boat was sunk by the Royal Navy after it had penetrated the boom defence in the River Clyde (Scotland).
This area was 'heaving' with Naval ships and was the starting point for many of the convoys etc.

The British Government denies that any U-boat ever penetrated the wartime defences and that the story is mixed up and probably refers to another U-boat that was sunk the same day just off the Isle of Arran near the Irish Sea.

It is believed that some of the crew were were buried in the local cemetry
at Greenock

Any information would be appreciated!
Visje

Re: Uboat

Post by Visje »

You are probably talkinga bout U-33, which was sunk during a minelaying operation by HMS Gleaner:

http://www.uboat.net/boats/u33.htm
http://www.uboat.net/maps/irish_sea.htm

HTH,

Visje
John McCready

Post by John McCready »

Hi, Yes, there were a number of Kreigsmarine sailors buried in Greenock but they were from U33 and were repatriated to Germany some time in the '60s.

The graves were situated, if my memory serves me well, near the Bow Road gate, as a boy I remember a row of six or seven well kept gravestones bearing the German Cross.

As you say, rumours abound to this day, about an attack through the boom defence net which stretched from Cloch Point, near the Lighthouse across to Dunoon. The reason, I think for this is, a vessel on patrol outside the boom net had a faint contact and discharged quite a number of depth charges. This was heard in Gourock (1 mile upriver) and could be seen from Dunoon (1.5 miles across river) as I'm sure it's was'nt everyday depth charges were used this would have stuck in peoples memories, I'm sure!!!!.

The gun emplacements and observation post which protected the boom on the south side of the river are still on the hillside to this day and can be accessed through Cloch Caravan Park, near Gourock.

John McCready
rclayton

Post by rclayton »

Hi everyone.
Interesting replies especially about the graves.
Yes I agree it sounds like U33. It was sunk by HMS Gleaner on the 12 Feb 1940 and although many of the crew perished some were taken prisoner.
It was also the first occassion on which a capture of Enigma material was made. Although the Eigma machine itself went down with the sub, some rotors, ( two I believe), were taken from a captured crewman who had been unable to dispose of them.
Best wishes Ron C.