Translation Help Needed--French Hospital Unit

Translation requests of German or other languages.

Moderator: John W. Howard

siege1863
Supporter

Translation Help Needed--French Hospital Unit

Post by siege1863 »

I have finally received the collection of letters mentioned in an earlier post. It appears the soldier (physician?) is writing to his wife, Gabriel Escané. He was a Pharmacie Auxiliaire with the 16th SIM (Section d'Infirmiers Militaires/ medical orderly section) at Lunel-Viel. The letters are addressed to the wife at the pharmacy at Pezilla la Rivierie. Perhaps this was his business before the war and why he is in a medical unit when it starts. The letters were written in late 1939.

Can anyone tell me the nature of the contents? I do not need an exact translation, unless they are revealing. I would like to know if it is merely banter between a husband and wife. In one letter, however, it looks like the soldier has enclosed some sort of prescription, using chemical compounds (Co3HNa). I have included scans of three letters and one of the outside to show the military censor stamp.

Dackel Staffel
Associate

Post by Dackel Staffel »

Hi,

It's private mail. The man write ( surely to his wife) what he did.

Just an example : the third letter

Today, the 19/11/1939 ( in french it's the day first and then the month)

As I have promised, I write to you as soon as my come back. I arrived yesterday evening at 5h30 (PM). I went to Montpellier ( in France and not in the Vermont :wink: ) for taking the authorization. I could have made the 4 kilometers at foot but I couldn't stand it.
Wednesday ( not sure of the word), big combat action stations ( or battle stations ?, the man didn't mean he went to combat but just all the unit had to be ready for doing something ). General medical examination, urine tests and T.A.B vaccine ( TYPHOID FEVER and/or PARATYPHOID FEVER, don't forget it's the job of the man and it seems he was in charge with colonial troops ). It's better to do it here instead on the front because we can take rest better than over there ( because the TAB vaccine is painful).
Best kisses to you ( this guy writes as bad as me)
Gabriel.
Hope it Helps

So long.
All we need it's a Dackel in each pocket
Pierre

sorry for this late answer.

Post by Pierre »

Good evening (afternoon for you)
it is a long time I haven't been on this site, it 's the reason why my answer has been long...

===
The stamps seems to be (large one) the regiment stamp (administration) then the second is a post office stamp of Lunul in the depatement of Hérault (which is located on the Mediteranean coast near Sète, Montpellier)
The adress of the wife (Mrs Escané) is not far away, in the Pyrénées Orientales (département) at the spanish boarderalong the méditeranean coast. In fact they are less than 100mile away form each other.

In the letter from 28. sept 1939
he writte to his family (wife and 2 children)
I writte you today in order to writte you every day. I met marcel, he is delighted with his place (function or work) Sbdy gave me news from you through Séguin (nickname Ficelle de Pezilla-Pezilla's rope, he should be thin). I will do my best to see them tommorow. Regarding ourselves (regiment or group) we are at the same place. Marcel is under the orders of a chief pharmacist : de Train and Palmade Bardon from the town of Béziers (Hérault). Tommorow I will do my best to see him if possible.
I just waxed my boots because the weather is very bad : it rains (ha ha that is a mediteranean : weather is dreatfull = it rains !)
I hope you recieve my letters regularely (there is a mistake in the grammar = he wrote reçois instead of reçoives)
see you tommorow (in fact by letter)
Kisses

19 nov 39
As I promised you, I writte you as soon as I arrived back, I arrived yesterday evening at 5.30. I went to Montpellier to take the bus, otherwise I would have been obliged to walk 2,5 mile. I didn't want to.
On wednesday, great activity, general (health) visit, urine analysis and vaccinations. It is better to have it now rather than on the front line, we will better take rest here rather than over there.
kisses to you 3.

21st sept 10 pm
I continue my letter because this evening I am ?? My mind is ok to writte (local slang ?? écrivassié = écrivain)
I wrote the day before yesterday, at the same time you wrote me, a letter to my parent.
If you would like to come and stay 1 or 2 days with me I would be very pleased. Around me my colleagues have their second half on their side.
I spend a lot of money, if this life continue like that I will end totaly poor.
This afternoon we are (not) in gaz chamber. ? (experiment for specific masks)

and he speak about an easy not expensive method to make a gas filter.
with wood coal, coton, ...

I hope it may help you.

best regards
Pierre :wink:
La guerre c'est comme la chasse. Mais à la guerre, le lapin tire.
C.D.G
Dackel Staffel
Associate

Post by Dackel Staffel »

Especially the german rabbit :D
All we need it's a Dackel in each pocket
Pierre

Post by Pierre »

:D
I was thinking about russians !!

avoid underestimate ennemies :wink: !!!
C.D.G
Pierre

correction

Post by Pierre »

in my post I wrotte Lunul, it is Lunel (!)

sorry.
Pierre
C.D.G
vicslav

Je dirais...

Post by vicslav »

>21st sept 10 pm
>I continue my letter because this evening I am ?? My mind is ok to
>writte (local slang ?? écrivassié = écrivain)

"Je continue ma lettre parce que ce soir je suis en verve"

Il me semble...

en verve : to be on top form (no similar word in english)
Sans liberté de blâmer, il n'est point d'éloges flatteurs (Beaumarchais, Figaro)