A NEW SITE ON WWII

Related website information, updates, questions, links, etc.
European

A NEW SITE ON WWII

Post by European »

This site deals with the German occupation of Greece and the civil war between communists and nationalists that occured there from 1941-1949

http://www.geocities.com/greek_civil_war/
John W. Howard

Thank You

Post by John W. Howard »

Hello European:
Thanks for the link to the very interesting site. I hope to have time to read it in depth in the future. I only have a very general knowledge of 20th Century Greek history, so I think it will be a big help for me. One of my former history professors, John Hondros, wrote a book about the German occupation of Greece, which I hope to read in the future. Hondros testified at the inquiry into Kurt Waldheim's activities in Greece during the occupation. Best wishes and thanks again.
John W. Howard
European

Re: Thank You

Post by European »

Creating the site I tried to be as objective as possible. The truth is that any civil war is very cruel and many attrocities are commited by both sides.

The "family memories" that I have say that the German army was not as cruel as it is presented by most modern writers. In fact they tried not to harm the citizens until the communist partizans tried to provocate retalliatory actions killing German soldiers and mutilating their bodies.

The worst crimes against Greek citizens and German soldiers were commited by the communist partizans
Uli
Enthusiast

Post by Uli »

For Mr. Howard:

And what was the final verdict of the inquiry into Waldheim's past? It certainly hasn't got much play here in my part of the U.S. in recent years. In fact, in the '80's, Waldheim was very highly respected among the international community. Has his Nazi past indeed overshadowed his postwar diplomatic accomplishments?
John W. Howard

Waldheim

Post by John W. Howard »

Hello Uli:
From what I remember, Waldheim's character and reputation were damaged by the revelation of his past service in the Heer as an intelligence officer. Apparently there were actions taken against Greek partisans by Waldheim's unit, which were called into question as to their legality. It was felt that Waldheim would have had to have known about such activities due to his intelligence posting. To my knowledge, no concrete evidence was ever produced linking Waldheim himself to a war-crime personally, and I believe that is what my former professor testified to. I am sure some of our European friends will be able to enlighten you further; my memory is rusty. You might try a search on this site; it seems to me we discussed this at one time, and I know at least one book was published in English criticizing Waldheim. I hope I have helped in a small way. Best wishes.
John W. Howard
European

Re: Waldheim

Post by European »

I remember that there were only suspicions against Waldheim. Not any real evidence. It has been said that the US wanted to place in his place another