German prisoner in Brive-La-Gaillarde, France 1946 !

German Veterans, vet accounts, MIA searches, KIA info, and on relatives who served.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

SwedishHans

German prisoner in Brive-La-Gaillarde, France 1946 !

Post by SwedishHans »

My grandfather, Philipp Hermann Rosie, a german feltwebel who served in Stalingrad in a panzer jäger company, ended up in a prisoncamp outside a city called Brive-la-gaillarde in central massif, France. He was working at a place called Lascaux sawmill and in a strange incident he and another german soldier was found shot one morning in their barrack. It probably was an attack of revenge i guess. This was in april 1946, after the war was over. If anybody recognize or have heard anything about any of this, please let me know.

Thank´s a lot and merry christmas to everybody.
Pierre

Post by Pierre »

Hello,

Perhaps can you ask directly in the Mairie of Brive la Gaillarde a death certificate, probably is it recorded ?

Mairie de Brive la Gaillarde, service de l'état civil, F-19100 Brive la Gaillarde

Also can it be recorded in local newspapers ? The solution is to find somebody there able to look for you...

Good Luck
Pierre
:wink:
La guerre c'est comme la chasse. Mais à la guerre, le lapin tire.
C.D.G
SwedishHans

Post by SwedishHans »

Hello Pierre.

I went to Brive last summer and met the Maire there. They gave me the death certificate and showed me to the graveyard were he was burryed. I also got in contact with the french museum of resistans were i got a clip from a newspaper that says what happened when he was killed in a revenge action in 1946.

I would like to get in contact with anyone that know about the camp (dont know if it´s called Lascaux sawmill ??) or have information about it of any kind.

By the way, can anybody tell me how to put a picture in the forum ?[/img]
Pierre

sorry for the delay !

Post by Pierre »

Hello,
sorry for the delay for the answer...
Do you have a copy of this newspaper article ?
has it been translated already ?

Revenge seems strange if your grandfather were in Russia during the war ??
Unfortunately I live about 500km away from Brive la gaillarde, and have no family there.
Was it a revenge between prisonners ?

Lascaux Sawmill seems to be a place near the main town or a workplace nearby.

Best regards
Pierre :wink:
La guerre c'est comme la chasse. Mais à la guerre, le lapin tire.
C.D.G
SwedishHans

Post by SwedishHans »

Hello Pierre, and thank you for yor answer.

I have an already translated e-mail i got from the Edmond-Michelet research center (Museum of French Resistans) in Brive.

The information was originally from two articles from the "La Vie Corézienne" No. 81 Sunday of April 1946 and No. 82 Sunday 21 of April 1946. I also have been recommended to enquire to the Corréze departmental archives, Le Touron, 19000 Tulle for additional information

The article says that one morning when the quartering (barracking) whas opened, two german prisoners (my grandfather and another 22 year old prisoner), who worked in the establishment, and were kept in confinement there at night, whas found killed with machine-guns. Bullet tracks were visible on the ground.
This double murder would be due to a revenge, it says. It was also confirmed later by a pathologist that the two german prisoners was finished of with a knife (throat cut). Nobody in the vicinity of Lascaux sawmill heard the slightest noise during the night of the murder.

I have send a request to Deutsche Dienststelle about my grandfathers military career, i hope they can give me some more information.

Til next time - Hans