Waffenfarbe for the panzerjager kompnie of a Heer or Waffen

German uniforms, clothing, and awards 1919-1945.

Moderator: John W. Howard

Johnny Bulgar

Waffenfarbe for the panzerjager kompnie of a Heer or Waffen

Post by Johnny Bulgar »

Could someone please tell me the color of the Waffenfarbe for the panzerjager kompnie of a Heer or Waffen SS infantrie battlion? Would it be the white of the regular infantrie or pink? Any help would be great. Thank you in advance.
fknorr

Post by fknorr »

stab131
Contributor

Post by stab131 »

White, infantry Waffebfarbe. Anti-tank is regiment's 14th Company. On their troddel (side arm knot) the coloring would be as the second regimental company. 13 and 14 Company were regimental companies, meaning that they were not assigned to one of the three battalions in the regiment, assuming prewar structure.
Paul Hanson
Contributor

Post by Paul Hanson »

I've just read this post. The Waffenfarbe of an Infantrie Panzerjäger unit would be hellrosa or rose-pink, not white.

PH
stab131
Contributor

Post by stab131 »

Really think is was white. Reason, they are infantry soldiers who are using an anti-tank weapon.

I have always read and been told that the rose pink was for the armored anti-tank personnel (Ferdinand crews for example).

Looking at Bidermann's book, In Deadly Combat, the waffenfarbe his PAK 37 crew appears to be white (he was assigned to 14th Company, IR 437).

All personnel, in an Infantry regiment habitually wore white waffenfarbe.
Johnny Bulgar

Thank you

Post by Johnny Bulgar »

Thank you all for the good information about this topic. :D
Paul Hanson
Contributor

Post by Paul Hanson »

Sorry, Stab, but rose-pink was not just for armored panzerjäger troops. Pre-war Panzerabwehr units existed(by 1936 at least) and wore the field service uniforms with rosepink Waffenfarbe and a Gothic "P" and an Arabic numeral denoting the unit on their epaulets{Uniforms and Traditions of the German Army 1933-1945 - Angolia and Schlicht and Field Uniforms of German Army Panzer Forces in World War 2 - Pruett and Edwards}

The first armored Panzerjägers were not formed until 1940 and they were issued the black Panzer uniforms and rose-pink Waffenfarbe. With all the units being formed with different organizations and new uniforms the situation got really muddied. So on May 7 1944 an order was issued defining who wore what type of uniform with what collar tabs. All units wore rose-pink Waffenfarbe, including towed anti-tank units.{Field Uniforms of German Army Panzer Forces in World War 2 - Pruett and Edwards}

Secondly, a Panzerjäger-kompamie would not be in a Infantrie-Regiment, they would be in the Division's Panzerjäger-Abteilung. So it doesn't matter what color Waffenfarbe all the personnel in an Infantrie-Regiment wore, it only matters what color Waffenfarbe all the personnel in the Panzerjäger-Abteilung wore; and that was rose-pink.

PH
PaulJ
Contributor

Post by PaulJ »

I think some confusion has developed about which type of anti-tank troops -- exactly -- are being referred to here.

The original question by Johnny Bulgar asked about anti-tank troops organic to infantry battalions. Stab131 gives an answer for anti-tank troops at regimental level, and Paul Hanson would appear to be speaking about divisional level troops.

Battalion level: I'm not sure that there were any troops specialized to the anti-tank function organic to infantry battalions. Anyone back me up on this? (I suspect that this is precisely what Stab131 was trying to say.)

Regimental level: There certainly was an anti-tank company organic to infantry regiments. As to their waffenfarbe, I'd cast my vote with Stab131 -- infantry white.

Divisional level: These clearly wore rose pink, as per Paul Hanson's remarks.
Paul Johnston
Per Ardua ad Astra
http://tactical-airpower.tripod.com