Band of Brothers

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

schwerepunkt

Band of Brothers

Post by schwerepunkt »

Comments, Criticisms?

Living in Australia, about a year or so behind the rest of the world, i saw the series on TV about a month ago, and bought the DVD set. I must say i was quite impressed with it, especially since it didnt portray the German soldiers, even the SS, as all demonic Nazis, like Private Ryan did. Surprising, since Spielberg had something to do with it. I was also surprised that the 5th episode, the one which Hanks directed, not only was anti-german, but an SS soldier is the subject of Winters torment, portraying...an innocent who winters killed. My god, have people started to take a reasoned view of WWII???
"You are educated when you have the ability to listen to almost anything without losing your temper or self-confidence."
Robert Frost
Sebastian Pye
Enthusiast

Post by Sebastian Pye »

I think the combat is too fast, and often they just run, forwards and backward. If you have a weapon, why not use it?
Also, the germans are portrayed as sluggish and stupid for the most part. In one episode a whole damn company is mowed down from behind by a few americans, they dont fire back, they dont even take cover or anything.
Commissar D, the Evil

Post by Commissar D, the Evil »

I agree with Sebastion about that scene. But, on the other hand, the series had many more good parts in it than bad parts. Best Regards,
David
Death is lighter than a Feather, Duty is heavier than a Mountain....
schwerepunkt

Post by schwerepunkt »

Yeah, Sebastian, you have got a point.

The portrayal of combat left a bit to be desired. Have you noticed how much pointless running around the Germans do, moving guns backwards and forwards. That Bit with the SS company getting mown down without a shat was a bit questionable too.

But like Dave said, the good bits outweighed the bad.

It could have been worse, could have been sluggish, stupid and evil 'Nazis', instead of sluggish and stupid germans.
"You are educated when you have the ability to listen to almost anything without losing your temper or self-confidence."
Robert Frost
Guillermo
Contributor

languages spoken

Post by Guillermo »

Do the german soldiers speak in german?
The movie "Europa, Europa" is interesting because of the languages spoken by the movie's characters: German, Polish and Russian.

I appreciate that.

Guillermo
charlie don't surf
Associate

Post by charlie don't surf »

Yes they do but one rarely gets to hear them speak.

regards
Fish
Contributor

Brothers

Post by Fish »

Hey guys look at it this way, the series is one of the best out there, no doubts.

Sorry no German side but then again Ambrose didn't choose to write about the Germans, he chose E Company just like he did D Coy Ox and Bucks both have very little German portrayal well thats the Ambrose (may he RIP) style.

Not enough action, man wake up they are ACTORs not Infantrymen do you have any idea what it takes to set up scenes like that; time, money, experience etc etc. Give it a break

Also remember there were actual vets on site during filming yeah the studio guys won't get it all right but enough to pass the E coy test.

Regards
Fish
Fish
Rohrdorf Germany
Sista Soldjah
Supporter

Post by Sista Soldjah »

For what it's worth - I loved the series - I also intend to purchase it so as to have a closer look at it - one episode I found very emotional - I remember completely bawling my eyes out - a nurse (based just behind the front line - wearing red bandanna - anyone remember this episode???)...shares a smoke or two with a very war weary soldier - their connection is totally about sharing the emotional torment of the scale of human loss...very powerful - I think of it now and feel such sadness - war is so senseless - so necessary - so rediculous - so sad - so tormenting - so engrained in human existence...so powerful...so inevitable...

Cheers
Sista
"You can no more win a war than you can win an earthquake. "
--Jeannette Rankin first woman Member of Congress
Joe

Post by Joe »

I thought the combat scenes were very well done. To the trained eye they look very well put together, realistic, and professional.

Movement is the key to both success and survival in an infantry engagement. What you are seeing with all
pointless running around
is actually by design. Movement creates a great deal of operational squad/platoon/company level friction. It slows down your opponent and confuses him. The ultimate idea is to both flow into and around your enemy and essentially break down his ability to coordinate. When he loses his ability to coordinate he loses his confidence. When he loses his confidence he is easily defeated.

I am sure the German armed forces understood the above principal far better than I.
The United States Marine Corps, with its fiercely proud tradition of excellence in combat, its hallowed rituals, and its unbending code of honor, is part of the fabric of American myth. -
Thomas E. Ricks; Making the Corps, 1997
Chris
Supporter

Well done

Post by Chris »

Hi All

I'd like to say a thing or two about this great series.

Firstly I have to give a big thumbs up for the Camerawork. Great shots and the use of handheld is moderatet so I really enjoy the "realism" this brings to the movie (TV-series). And furthermore I think the computer effects "after-film-effects" are acceptable (See forx. Episode 2). The camerawork givens an impression (Good or Bad) of the enviroment and the horrors of war (See forx. Ardennes episode #?). The technical side is therefor, in my opinion VERY good.

The cast is also quite good. Very few fall out, and to my surprise, even David Schwimmer (Friends etc.) does a magnificant job portraying the Rookie Officer, the men does not want to follow in to battle. Unlike SPR. (Saving Private Ryan), you get a step closer to feelings and moods of the individual soldiers withing the unit. Its makes the series a bit "deeper" than SPR., and I really enjoy the story as it is told through focus portrayals in each episode.

The third point in this simple review is ofcouse, as you have all mentioned, the tactical side. Although a large effort has been made to get the feel of military actions during WWII, the Germans are still acting like green recruits, straight from graduateschool. The "embankment" episode, already mentioned, made me very disappointed. This also apply to the Carentan episode, with German Paratroopers running for cover thrugh an open field/swamp. Many episodes and situations are open for discussions, BUT... the sum of it is nonetheless a feeling of realism ("In the Hollywood manner") and very wellmade firefights etc.

Speaking of realism It also tries to show the attrocities committed in war, (from both sides!), and I find it "refreshing" that this side of the war is also shown in connections with ordinary combat actions.

This series show young men fighting for their Country. Right or Wrong, they were all men fighting for their, and eachothers, lives, and you get "a feeling of" the mental and physical burdens put on the men. If the Vets that reviewed this movie/series is satisfied and affected by it, Who am I to judge realism etc. .....

This series is the one of the best WWII production ever. Better than SPR. also (The Skinhead type Germans are far fewer!), and despite it has some flaws, this is the closest (untill now) we get to an ultimate (If you can speak of such a thing) WWII Battlefield movie.
I personally think Das Boot is the best WWII serie/movie, but it is very different from B.o.B. in many ways.

My 2 Crowns
Chris
Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas
PP303

Post by PP303 »

I watched the mini and thought that it was good. The one part I didn't like was when Spiers kills the German POWs. The Geneva convention was for all. I posted a topic on WWII in feedback and suggestions by mistake. Sorry.

Paul
Gewitter
Supporter

Post by Gewitter »

The reason the Germans were portrayed in that manner is because most likely, German veterans most likely had little influence in the making of this great series.
Baltasar
Enthusiast

Post by Baltasar »

I just have seen some episodes of the series.

I agree that they allied side is portraied very realistic (at least I think it's realistic). You get a real impression of what a firefight is about. Much like the way I was taught it. Keep moving, get cover when fireing, keep the men left and right in sight, report everything important loud to the NCO/CO and so on.

On the other side, the german troops are acting like recruits. No perimeterdefense, no flank protection, always running away when the enemy is coming near, never seeking cover, never using handgranades (which were better than the american because you could throw them further), ...... I wonder how they were able to conquer that much of europe with these troops.
Viciouspiggy

Post by Viciouspiggy »

PP03: Actually, I think it was pretty good that Spiers was portrayed realisticly. The real Spiers was also notorious for shootin POW's and even a fellow soldier once. The Allies were just as guilty of war crimes (towards POW's), even more so, than the Germans were.

BTW, I would love to see a series like this one but from either the German or the Finnish side. Just imagine a series about the exploits of the first SS Panzer Division, how the heroic col. Peiper leads his men from one victory to another... :D

*drools*