When Did the Baltic Campaign End

German campaigns and battles 1919-1945.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Lacplesis
Supporter

When Did the Baltic Campaign End

Post by Lacplesis »

It is generaly thought that when Germany surrendered, the war was over in Europe. There was mention of a small partizan war in the Baltics but being behind the Iron curtain, news was hard to get. In reading the Latvian Legion series books it was mentioned that when the 15th Division was told they were to be sent to Germany, less than 80% of the soldiers arrived due to desertions for they were only fighting for Latvia and didn't want to leave their families behind. The same happened in Estonia with Estonian soldiers when the Germans retreated.
When I returned to Latvia and traveled in the country I noticed that the roads through the forests were clear of undergrowth of up to 700 feet on each side. When I inquired why, I was told it was to keep Bandits from hiding to close to the road.
Before the curtain fell, my aunt came to visit us and during a trip in the country she asked me why were there no guards at the bridges when we crossed asking us for permission slips.
I just acquired two books by Heinrihs Strods of "Latvijas Nacinalo Partizanu Kars 1944-1956" They total over1200 pages and he has gone through every document about the partizans written by the occupying Russians. I am trying to meddle through it and in a nutshell from 1945 to 1956 over 20,000 "Bandits" were shot or arrested in Latvia. He does mention that a similar war exsisted in Estonia. There were a few German deserters also caught in the fight.
As I read this I haven't found any reference yet of how many Germans and Latvian surrendered at the termination of the war.
There are only estimates. Learn something new everyday.
jbets
History is what we repeat if we don't study it.
Jason Pipes
Patron

Post by Jason Pipes »

Latvia wasn't the only country to experience bandit warfare post-WWII, all the Baltic countries did, as did Romania, the Ukraine, and many other areas as well. Some well into the 1960s.